Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some pics of my babies. First, this post will have some pics of the 9 new rusty babies I stripped a couple weeks ago (just getting the pics up now) and the 5 lab fry I've been growing out for a few months now just over 1" now.

Next post, pics of the ~50 rusty fry I stripped from 3 holding rusty moms yesterday, as soon as I take them and get them uploaded.

Bonus: when the labs were babies

Growing up...

Not the best pics, but enjoy!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Love it :thumb: ! Sounds alot like mine, I stripped a dozen Rusties about 3 weeks ago(love those guys), and 2 weeks before that, 4 yellow labs. That goes along with the 22 Fuelleborni and 22 Afra fry as well! I need to start taking more pics again! Good luck Rhinox!

·
Registered
291 Posts
:thumb: Nice job. Looks similar to our setup. Have a 20L for grow out and float nurseries in it for the newborns.

Currently:
~25 Acei fry
~25 Yellow Lab fry
~10 Maingano fry

Holding:
1 Maingano
2 Acei

Great work with yours. Spawning fish means happy, healthy fish.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks forf the comments! My rusties must be happier than everyone else bc they're the ones doing all the spawning :p

They all need to do a little more growing up though then I'm sure I'll get more fry from all of them than I ever wanted haha.

Here are some new pics. Not sure of the quality. Doing all the taking, uploading, and posting from my phone.

New set up:

New fry from 2 of the mommies - 30-40 in the floating box with just a touch of egg sac left:

Floating box #2. 19 fry (I think) from the 3rd mommy. These had a bit more egg sac than the others so they gott they're own box:

Random shots of the labs and the first 9 rusties. Labs ~1", rusties to 1/2" already they grow quick! After a weekend alone over xmas and even with a new filter, no deaths in the tank not even any babies:

One more full tank shot. When they grow up a bit more, they'll all be moved to a 33xl to grow out to selling/trading/giving away size:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
pictures no worky for me :(

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New pictures!

Overall - the fry in the boxes have gown a bunch in 2 weeks!

Excuse me, are you feeding us?

Random shots:

Right side breeder box - almost big enough to get dumped in with the rest.

Left side breeder box - still a little behind in growth. I think I feed the right box more unintentionally because there are more fish in there.

Enjoy! Still sorry for the crappy quality, its the best I can do. I think the shots of the breeder box show how much they've grown if you compare them to the previous pics.

Also, plan to move all these fish will move to a 33XL or 40br growout within the next month. I want the smallest fry to be able to eat the NLS first bites without me needing to crush it up first, and I need to rehome some fish and Q some new arrivals first.

Also, not a single rusty death! all the live fish that were stripped out of the 4 females, are still living. With my first trial at raising fry, I lost 4 out of 9 - the 5 labs in the tank are the survivors. Quite an improvement on the mortality rate for me :) Not sure why the 4 labs died. Out of the initial 9 rusties in with the labs, one of them is missing most of a tail, and another has a lab-mouth size chunk missing out of the dorsal fin. Other than that, they're doing fine for now.

P.S. pictures working for everyone now? I use photobucket, they all show up for me :-?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Gosh! This makes me want to go set up a fry tank, even though I don't have any fish holding or fry, lol!
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just reporting in with an update - all the little rusty fry are now free swimming in the 10 - no more breeder boxes. I had a few losses after I did this. I think maybe some got attacked by the larger labs or the larger rusties that were in there first. I lost maybe 5-10 of the ~60. Also you might find it interesting to know that the larger rusty fry seem intimidated by the cloud of rusty fry. A couple of them won't even barge in to eat with the rusties, and the 3 that do wait to grab whatever makes it near the bottom. I'm actually getting worried about the potential for a stress-based illness, one of the reasons I want to get them in a bigger tank.

They are really messy. I probably don't vac and change the water as often as I should, but when I do its like 80% once a week. Before the last water change, I checked the nitrates and they were only at 10ppm, so I'm not worried. Anyways, I think tonight they might make the trip upstairs into the 33XL. I finally found someone to take my 3 extra male rusties, so the 33XL will become the growout tank.

I have a question - right now there are 2 AC70's on the 33XL. Should I continue to use them? The fry are still quite small I don't know if they'll enjoy the current, although I plan on using sponge prefilters. What do you think?

I have another surpirse! My rusty females are already holding their second clutch of fry since I stripped and I'm allowing them to spit in the tank. I saw one escape mammas mouth and scurry into the rockwork. Not sure what happened to it (probably eaten lol). BUT, I was checking my overflows and there is a small rusty fry hanging out at the bottom of the corner overflow :lol: . I don't know what to do with it. I could probably try to siphon it out or flush it down the drain and catch with a net but then its too small to go with the other fry anyways so... I think I'm going to leave it there and see if it survives. I paid attention when I was feeding last night and a few pellets made it down into the corner overflow and I was watching the fry snacking on them, well, trying to the pellets are nearly as big as it is! If it lives long enough, I'll eventually catch it and add it to the rest of my rusty fry.

But yeah, anyways, any suggestions on filtering the 33XL fry tank? Will the 2 AC70s be too much for the fry? Let me know what you think. I'll post some pics later!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
lol, amazing where they end up sometimes. I had lab fry in my XP2 for must have been 2 weeks, they were bigger than their siblings in the fry tank.
Personally, I'd probably just use 1 ac70 but I don't think it matters much. You could try it with both on the lowest flow setting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.