Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HUGE dilemma!

Yesterday i discovered Ick and started treating for it. This is day 2 of full treatment. My HUGE problem is I have my Fire Eel arriving today!

I do not have a hospital tank set up to put her in. What do I do? Keep her in a bucket for another day to be safe? Or put her in and hope for the best. Im sure she probably had a better chance in the tank with the Ick than the bucket.

this is HORRIBLE timing! I need more experienced advice.

thank you guys!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you FishGuy.

The most horrible thing happened this morning. I woke up to my entire tank dead. My Dovii, whom I've had since he was just over an Inch and raised for 2 years... my jacks, my eel, my cons... all of them but the Female Jack are dead.

I took the advice of the LFS and I believe I poisoned them. I did a water change last night but I think it was too late. Im absoutely devastated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont remember the brand name, Im at work now so I'll have to get back to you on that later tonight.

I had 2 of them tell me to treat up to 3 times a day for 5 days. (the stuff is blue and it treats Ick and the stuff that creats a white film) I thought that was a bit much. The directions where very vague, it said Max 3 Daily Treatments. I only treated them twice on Saturday and then once Sunday morning... it wasnt till after my Beautiful Eel showed up that they looked a bit labored in breathing... So I did a small water change and added about 15 gallons of new water before I went to bed.

I woke up to find they had all past. I have no problem admitting that I've been crying over this. I've had Wolfie and the Male Con for 2 1/2 years. Im just devastated FishGuy.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I hate to say this but we've all been there... It sucks.... I know...

Here's how you move foreward...

Drain the tank, remove atleast 80% of the water. Refill. Turn the temp up to 85*, ick cannot survive in it's parisite form in water that warm. Add aquarium salt (follow directions on box) this will help the fishes slime coat to get stronger, thus helping get rid of the ick. Now, most importantly you need to add a bubble wall to help with more water surface break oxygenating water even more. Warmer water lacks in oxygen, you need to make up for it...

In nature sick fish go to the shallows when they are sick. THey do this because the water is warmer and more oxygenated. You're just doing the same in your tank.

Do not give up, this was a hard lesson to learn... PM me, I might have something you'd be interested in... :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yes I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

The ick would not kill them that fast. Sounds like the LFS gave you faulty info and the medicine was overdosed. I have not had ick for a long time. I have a bottle of AP aquarium products that says 1 drop per gallon for a max of 3 days. Not sure if yours says the same.

GL and let us know if we can help you anymore.

...Bill

·
Registered
867 Posts
yes i agree, ick cannot survive anything over 80 degrees, that why i keeep my tank normally at 82 degrees. sad to hear you lost your fish. *** never lost any due to ich before. so i dont really know how you feel but sry to hear that. yea do what thefishguy said and drain 80 percent of the tank and refill and leaving the temp at 85 for a awhile and you should be fine within a week ( if no fish are in the tank then the ich pethagon has nothing to host to and does off faster )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts