Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered this site about 8 years ago. I consider this forum my go to for scholarly information and solid advice. That fishless cycle paper in the library was awesome. I definitely want to shout out DJRansome for suggestions and guidance when I have posted. Today, my tank of 15 yellow tail acei is doing really well. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ppm before this morning's water change. I change the water weekly at 30%. I have a female holding which I attribute to good maintenance habits. I am feeding Northfin spirulina flake and veggie pellets. I may feed vary sparing, 1x a week some New Life Spectrum or a meat based pellet. Thank you to anyone who gave me some advice. I am a happy fish keeper.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,517 Posts
Great to hear, another lifetime hobbist!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
TeamPisces said:
I discovered this site about 8 years ago. I consider this forum my go to for scholarly information and solid advice. That fishless cycle paper in the library was awesome. I definitely want to shout out DJRansome for suggestions and guidance when I have posted. Today, my tank of 15 yellow tail acei is doing really well. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ppm before this morning's water change. I change the water weekly at 30%. I have a female holding which I attribute to good maintenance habits. I am feeding Northfin spirulina flake and veggie pellets. I may feed vary sparing, 1x a week some New Life Spectrum or a meat based pellet. Thank you to anyone who gave me some advice. I am a happy fish keeper.
I'm no expert, but 30% water change once/week doesn't seem sufficient to keep nitrates at 20ppm.... What's the volume of your tank and what kind of filtration do you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
TeamPisces said:
I discovered this site about 8 years ago. I consider this forum my go to for scholarly information and solid advice. That fishless cycle paper in the library was awesome. I definitely want to shout out DJRansome for suggestions and guidance when I have posted. Today, my tank of 15 yellow tail acei is doing really well. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ppm before this morning's water change. I change the water weekly at 30%. I have a female holding which I attribute to good maintenance habits. I am feeding Northfin spirulina flake and veggie pellets. I may feed vary sparing, 1x a week some New Life Spectrum or a meat based pellet. Thank you to anyone who gave me some advice. I am a happy fish keeper.
You seem to be doing everything just right; congratulations, and enjoy your fishes! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smeagol said:
TeamPisces said:
I discovered this site about 8 years ago. I consider this forum my go to for scholarly information and solid advice. That fishless cycle paper in the library was awesome. I definitely want to shout out DJRansome for suggestions and guidance when I have posted. Today, my tank of 15 yellow tail acei is doing really well. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ppm before this morning's water change. I change the water weekly at 30%. I have a female holding which I attribute to good maintenance habits. I am feeding Northfin spirulina flake and veggie pellets. I may feed vary sparing, 1x a week some New Life Spectrum or a meat based pellet. Thank you to anyone who gave me some advice. I am a happy fish keeper.
I'm no expert, but 30% water change once/week doesn't seem sufficient to keep nitrates at 20ppm.... What's the volume of your tank and what kind of filtration do you have?
I am running two Aquaclear 110 filters. I am also running two very fat sponge filters in the tank. One sponge is rated for 125 gallon (ATI) from Kensfish. The other is rated for 75 gallons. I have a pothos plant that I am trying. However, I don't the one plant is making any significant difference in the nitrates. Truth be told my nitrates are 20ppm out of my tap anyway and that is still after I draw a vial of water and let it sit for 24hours. Also, I am running an airstone inline with each sponge filter. Hope that explains things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sir_keith said:
TeamPisces said:
I discovered this site about 8 years ago. I consider this forum my go to for scholarly information and solid advice. That fishless cycle paper in the library was awesome. I definitely want to shout out DJRansome for suggestions and guidance when I have posted. Today, my tank of 15 yellow tail acei is doing really well. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ppm before this morning's water change. I change the water weekly at 30%. I have a female holding which I attribute to good maintenance habits. I am feeding Northfin spirulina flake and veggie pellets. I may feed vary sparing, 1x a week some New Life Spectrum or a meat based pellet. Thank you to anyone who gave me some advice. I am a happy fish keeper.
You seem to be doing everything just right; congratulations, and enjoy your fishes! :thumb:
Thanks, Sir Keith. My daughter can't believe that the fish is holding the fry in her mouth. She is in utter amazement.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,517 Posts
Contact your water authority, you should not be drinking water with 20ppm nitrates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJRansome said:
Contact your water authority, you should not be drinking water with 20ppm nitrates.
Well DJRansome, for months the tap was reading 20ppm. My tank the other day appeared to be 20ppm pre water change. However, I just did a test with the API master kit and both the tap and the 10 are 0ppm. That is the first time I have ever had a reading of 0ppm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
Contact your water authority, you should not be drinking water with 20ppm nitrates.
Do you think new home construction and constant ground breaking can lead to spike of nitrate reading in the tap water? A lot of new construction has recently finished in my neighborhood. Well needless to say, I am glad that I no longer have nitrates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
TeamPisces said:
Smeagol said:
TeamPisces said:
I discovered this site about 8 years ago. I consider this forum my go to for scholarly information and solid advice. That fishless cycle paper in the library was awesome. I definitely want to shout out DJRansome for suggestions and guidance when I have posted. Today, my tank of 15 yellow tail acei is doing really well. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ppm before this morning's water change. I change the water weekly at 30%. I have a female holding which I attribute to good maintenance habits. I am feeding Northfin spirulina flake and veggie pellets. I may feed vary sparing, 1x a week some New Life Spectrum or a meat based pellet. Thank you to anyone who gave me some advice. I am a happy fish keeper.
I'm no expert, but 30% water change once/week doesn't seem sufficient to keep nitrates at 20ppm.... What's the volume of your tank and what kind of filtration do you have?
I am running two Aquaclear 110 filters. I am also running two very fat sponge filters in the tank. One sponge is rated for 125 gallon (ATI) from Kensfish. The other is rated for 75 gallons. I have a pothos plant that I am trying. However, I don't the one plant is making any significant difference in the nitrates. Truth be told my nitrates are 20ppm out of my tap anyway and that is still after I draw a vial of water and let it sit for 24hours. Also, I am running an airstone inline with each sponge filter. Hope that explains things.
Sorry, maybe I missed it. What size is your tank?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,517 Posts
That should not happen, that is why wells are required to be far from construction. Did they break a main and now it is fixed? Something like that they should have advised you not to use the water for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
TeamPisces said:
...Truth be told my nitrates are 20ppm out of my tap anyway and that is still after I draw a vial of water and let it sit for 24hours...
DJRansome said:
...Contact your water authority, you should not be drinking water with 20ppm nitrates...
TeamPisces said:
...for months the tap was reading 20ppm. My tank the other day appeared to be 20ppm pre water change. However, I just did a test with the API master kit and both the tap and the 10 are 0ppm. That is the first time I have ever had a reading of 0ppm.
You need to do a control experiment to determine whether the "20ppm" readings you are getting with your tap water are correct. I suggest that you buy a bottle of distilled water from your local grocery or drug store, and test that. At this point I am inclined to believe that your test kit (or strips, or whatever you are using) is giving you a false positive reading of 20ppm, rather than your tap water actually containing 20ppm NO3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DJRansome said:
That should not happen, that is why wells are required to be far from construction. Did they break a main and now it is fixed? Something like that they should have advised you not to use the water for a while.
About 2 months ago, a water main break affected our area. The water was restored in 8 hours, but we advised to boil water until an all clear was given. However, I started cycling my tank with the fishless method long after that break.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TeamPisces said:
DJRansome said:
That should not happen, that is why wells are required to be far from construction. Did they break a main and now it is fixed? Something like that they should have advised you not to use the water for a while.
About 2 months ago, a water main break affected our area. The water was restored in 8 hours, but we advised to boil water until an all clear was given. However, I started cycling my tank with the fishless method long after that break.
I can do that for sure. I have distilled water on hand at the house. I will try it out. Thanks.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top