Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody it's been quite a while since i've been on here. Unfortunately, as I am in college at the moment, I do not have the time r schedule to keep a tank running properly. However, in the near future I hope to start up again with an mbuna tank.

I want to make the tank as close to the actual habitat of lake Malawi as i possibly can. This being said, I was wondering if anyone could tell me which mbuna come from which regions (ie. Minos Reef, etc...) so that I can group the right fish together. Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks,
Cody

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If you use the Profiles section of this site and set it to display all Malawi mbuna, you can see common collection points among a number of species... However, just because they're from the same collection point in the lake does not mean they'll work together in a tank. In the lake, there's quite a bit more room for a sub-dominant fish to run and hide, or to avoid predation.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man, i'll keep that in mind. I just want to make it as realistic as possible. I really like the looks of the Cyno. sp. "Hara." I'd also definitely want to have some kind of Metriaclima in there, what are your favorites?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
There are probably between 50-100 isolated reefs in lake Malawi. Really far too many to list. This book by Ad Konings is excellent if you want to know the specific locations of most known malawi cichlids in the lake: "Malawi Cichlids in their natural habitat." It also has a photo of every species.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha thanks man, i get the point. Do you know what metriaclima might be good with the Cyno. sp. hara?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oooo how about the metriaclima sp. "red top gallireya reef" to go with the hara, couse they're both from gallireya reef. Do you think the stripes on both the males would cause any major problems?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Yes, avoid two barred fish in the same tank.

There was a member who tried this (one location) and gave up because of availability. I'm hoping he will chime in, can't remember who it was.

·
Registered
361 Posts
There's probably several that have tried. I know I did... with Nkhata Bay. I was planning Cynotilapia afra, Metriaclima sp. Zebra Gold, and Labidochromis caeruleus. Gave up because I can't find the Nkhata Bay variant of Met. sp. Zebra Gold. I only found the Lion's Cove variant. Although, that doesn't mean I can't just eliminate it (probably too big for my tank anyhow - 40g long). Now it's just money that is stopping me... :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright, i guess i'll just have to search around then. Are there any suggestions of Metriaclima that would do well with the Cyno. sp. hara?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I've kept Metriaclima sp. Msobo with Cyno sp. Hara successfully. They are from opposite sides of the lake, though. Metriaclima Estherae (Red Zebras) should work well also.

This link has an interactive map with some of the species listed at each spot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
DJRansome said:
Yes, avoid two barred fish in the same tank.

There was a member who tried this (one location) and gave up because of availability. I'm hoping he will chime in, can't remember who it was.
I am curious what is meant by two barred fish. For some reason I do not recall hearing about that in regards to cichlids

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It means that if you have two different species, but both males have bars they are more likely to fight.

So what if I did either Metriaclima sp. "Chilumba" or Cynotilapia sp. "Hara" with Metriaclima sp. "Zebra Gold"? Would that work out ok?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I stock the following with Hara. This tank is very stable. Not collection-point-specific, but it works for me.

3 Pseudotropheus elegans Luwala Reef 'Yellow Tail Acei'
1 Labidochromis Caeruleus
5 Cynotilapia sp. "White Top Hara"
1 Melanochromis auratus
1 Lodotropheus sprengerae "Rusty"
1 Pseudotropheus socolofi
1 Tropheops sp. 'Red Cheek'

·
Registered
24 Posts
codyDjung said:
It means that if you have two different species, but both males have bars they are more likely to fight.

So what if I did either Metriaclima sp. "Chilumba" or Cynotilapia sp. "Hara" with Metriaclima sp. "Zebra Gold"? Would that work out ok?
BAHAHAHA.I thought you meant fish with two bars. I was like "what fish have two bars?" or "do they mean bars on the face?"

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice tank RRasco, your haras look really sweet!

Just one more anoying question about metriaclima... what are all of your favorites?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Thanks.

I did notice I left the Metriaclima Estherae off of the stock I listed. I don't know much about Metriaclima, or have a favorite, but wanted to note I do have one in there with my Hara. It's one a buddy gave me he called it 'some hybrid'. So it's not pure, but I'm 99.999% sure it has plenty of Metriaclima Estherae in it. That is purely speculation based on experience though.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
You would not want to combine fish of the same genus in one tank. So only one Metriaclima.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alright thanks everybody! my tank is 60 gallons and 4ft long, so i'm thinking around 6 Cyno. sp. "hara" or "jalo reef" with 4 Met. sp. "zebra gold"

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
You would not want to combine fish of the same genus in one tank. So only one Metriaclima.
DJ, Psuedotropheus would be the exception though, right? psuedo acei & demasoni as an example?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Pseudotropheus is an example because "undescribed" fish are grouped in that genus.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts