Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 75g has 12 auratus which are all about 2" now. The males are starting to color up. Currently I see 4 of them.
What is a good male female ratio for my tank size ?
Do I remove excess males or let the strong survive?
Could I put 1 male in my 65g with labs rusties zebras and demasoni, or would he reak havoc on the tank?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
I would do one male per tank with auratus. A male with zebras and demasoni can wreak havoc...if you try it be sure to observe and remove promptly if there is a problem. Is the tank 48" long by 18" wide?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes 48x18. So what should I do with the excess males ?
Survival of the fittest ? I want the alpha male right ? They all coloring up similarly and they all have 1/4 of the tank lol. It's fun to watch them defend their space. But one hasn't taken over as of yet. Should I wait or just hold the nicest looking one ?

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
The biggest issue with the 'survival of the fittest' is you run the risk of a stressed sub dominant male becoming I'll and leading to something like bloat.

The alpha will not always be the best looking fish. You can try pulling the alpha to see who steps up, as they may look better.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
You could try to keep Auratus like Tropheus or Demasoni, just keep a bunch and hope that the males occupy each other and spread aggression around. The more the better, maybe get a few more Auratus, can't have enough females. Or if you want a smaller group you would go down to one male. All depends if you really want the Auratus group. Maybe the females will stay attractive in a large group. In nature I believe they make large groups and swim around with an alpha male, they are not that territorial.

Depends on what you want, don't be in any hurry to try to get a "perfect" group, just observe how they go. You may find there is no perfect group, that Auratus are just a pain. Make a try of it if you want, why not?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would love to keep more than one male. Currently have 12 auratus occupy the tank with 15 acei.
I'm gonna remove 1 male that has been relegated to the top of the tank. 3 males have claimed their territory. I like the idea of adding a few more females. Thanks.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Expect them to get more aggressive ...

I had a male I moved out of a group in a 20G long into a 10G because of aggression issues. Lost several more out of that group.

Ultimately, after a number of months, I needed the 10G to move some Juildochromis juveniles into, and I moved the isolated male auratus (around 3") back into the 20G long which had a male and a female (both around 3") and four of their offspring (around 1 1/2")

One of the males was dead less than 24 hours later.

You might have different luck with a larger tank than what I had ... but I'd plan on keeping a real close eye on things if I were you.

They're mean little buggers ...

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
wryan said:
Expect them to get more aggressive ...

I had a male I moved out of a group in a 20G long into a 10G because of aggression issues. Lost several more out of that group.

Ultimately, after a number of months, I needed the 10G to move some Juildochromis juveniles into, and I moved the isolated male auratus (around 3") back into the 20G long which had a male and a female (both around 3") and four of their offspring (around 1 1/2")

One of the males was dead less than 24 hours later.

You might have different luck with a larger tank than what I had ... but I'd plan on keeping a real close eye on things if I were you.

They're mean little buggers ...
Having a low number of Auratus in a small tank is a recipe for disaster. When you add another male like that it is instant war for dominance and one will probably get killed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts