Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the recent temp. related deaths the hierarchy of my tank has changed... A male Kenyi was the tank boss previously however now an albino socolofi is the boss but it is the behaviour of the male auratus that is a bit strange...

It was shoring female coloration before the deaths but has changed towards male coloration now though not completely but it is being chased around by a female looking auratus now...

At times it is hiding but otherwise it is active and actively eats at the feeding time, no fins damaged..

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
47 read and no advice how to proceed???

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
It did not seem like you were asking a question, just providing an update. If he is eating and has no damage it sounds like a normal mbuna tank. You have been keeping them in a tank smaller than 48" x 18" with a low-ish number of females, right? And you prefer not to change that?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I read it, didn't see a question and moved on. Mbuna chase each other. As long as it isn't permanently in a corner, or being damaged, it is fine.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys...

No DJR I am keeping them in 48 X 18 X 18 tank... I changed to this set-up couple of months ago... Don't know for sure about the low number of females as I got them as juveniles in January this year and have 6 of each kind...

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Are there just the 12 fish in the tank?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope there are 24...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Don't worry about him. He will eventually take over the tank. I have one about 5" long in my 6' 150 with a bunch of 8"-12" haps and he owns a corner of the tank... even without any females in there.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Well if you are looking for things to try, maybe post the complete stock list with male:female ratio.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
6 Albino Socolofi, 6 Yellow labs, 6 Kenyis and 6 auratus...

1 auratus in male color the other all in female colors, Kenyi 1 starting to show male colors the rest female colors, no idea about the albino socolofi and the Labs...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they've been holding their own for the past 5 months or so dielikemoviestars... hope it stays that way, having said that I am keeping an eye out for aggression though...

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
You said some male color. Adult female Auratus can take on fake male color, and get kinda dark, this is not uncommon. Maybe it is not really a male?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if it is not a male and it is not dominant one out of the females as well then why has it taken on male coloration???

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats what I think ishmal but the thing is why is at so afraid of the female???

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
monisaab said:
6 Albino Socolofi, 6 Yellow labs, 6 Kenyis and 6 auratus...

1 auratus in male color the other all in female colors, Kenyi 1 starting to show male colors the rest female colors, no idea about the albino socolofi and the Labs...
DJR I await your advice...

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I think you've gotten good advice from others. Either wait and see since there is no damage. Or, if I wanted to tinker, I would eliminate a the labs and do 1m:7f on both kenyi and auratus.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks DJR, the only problem with getting the right combination is the stocks at LFS, they only sell juveniles here so no way I can get the exact rations...

I have to get juveniles and grow them up to see if they are males or females... have changed a couple of auratus males and 1 kenyi male to date, these were in addition to the dominant males of these species...

·
Registered
554 Posts
If no one is getting hurt, wait and see. Some chasing happens. When fins start looking ragged, well, then it's time to worry.
It might be that the female coloured auratus is just feeling particularly grumpy at the moment. It might be that it is soon to start changing into male colours. All you really can do is give time.

Expect rather dramatic changes in fish agression levels as they reach sexual maturity (which, of course, the changing colours are the first signs of).

For future additions, it might be worth raising them in a grow out tank for a time, so that you can be sure you're adding males/females to the tank. Of course, chuck in a whole bunch and wait also works - young males might not colour up in the presence of larger, more dominant ones, though.

I'm glad to hear that the heat-issues are not a crisis anymore :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts