Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female auratus recently released 5 fry that I can find. They look exactly like little tiny Auratus. My question is are they for sure full blood auratus or could they be hybrids. I have a male auratus in the tank but many other species as well.

·
Registered
350 Posts
what other species are in the tank?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other males would be a auratus male, some sort of johanni I picked up at petco, jewel spot elongatus, a line bred red peacock, and a Labeotropheus trewavasae.

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
Since hybrids can look exactly like either parent, visual ID or pics will not give you 100% certainty.

You do have other melanochromis in the tank, increasing the hybrid risk. On the other hand the auratus may be the most aggressive male in the tank and they look exactly like auratus.

I'd let the adults in the tank handle fry control for this clutch. If I wanted a batch of auratus fry I'd add 6 females and remove the other melanochromis. If there is room on the tank. This may make the peacock extremely unhappy however. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I agree with DJRansome, and wanted to ad that you only know that the parent auratus are full blood auratus if they come from a reputable store and were sold as such. If they come out of the 'Mixed African Cichlid' tank of a chain store, even the parents might well be hybrids, even if they look like auratus. Just saying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts