Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
DJRansome said:
Add 8 unsexed juvenile auratus and 8 unsexed juvenile maingano and hope they are all females. 1m:7f is a good ratio for this fish.
I agree. I am currently breeding Auratus with 1m:3f which is commonly recommended and my male is an absolute breeding machine.

I had breeding group in the tank for less than two months and have already stripped two groups of fry!

I have found both the male and non-holding females will continue to harass holding female until I remove her from tank. Therefore as soon as I see a holding female being antagonized I put her in a separate tank.

The ratio of 1m:7f is not only to minimize aggression amongst Auratus, but will also allow females time to add weight back on after breeding... spread the love around so to speak!

· Registered
26 Posts
If you have another tank, I would take the holding female out and strip her after 15 days. Then feed her 3x a day for 3-5 days. After that point, I would re-introduce her to community tank.

This will take stress off both holding and non-holding females.

Fry will not survive in community tank, and either holding or non-holding female or both will succumb to aggression/harassment by male.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.