Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time breeding Africans my auratus spawned today and now both the male and female are hammering the other female in the tank, I have bred lots of american cichlids but not sure if the auratus pair off at all. Any chance of adding another group of mbuna or other its a 65 gallon 48x18x18. Any advice appreciated. Thanks,
Stephen.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
This behavior is normal unfortunately. Mbuna do NOT pair off like Central American cichlids, they need to be kept in larger groups of Mbuna, the crowd spreads the attention around. What fish are in the tank? Only 3 Auratus?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also 1 male Maingano and a Molly, they couldn't care a less about the Molly and are not so bad towards the Maingano but the male in particular is extremely viscous towards the other female Auratus .

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Add 8 unsexed juvenile auratus and 8 unsexed juvenile maingano and hope they are all females. 1m:7f is a good ratio for this fish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
DJRansome said:
Add 8 unsexed juvenile auratus and 8 unsexed juvenile maingano and hope they are all females. 1m:7f is a good ratio for this fish.
I agree. I am currently breeding Auratus with 1m:3f which is commonly recommended and my male is an absolute breeding machine.

I had breeding group in the tank for less than two months and have already stripped two groups of fry!

I have found both the male and non-holding females will continue to harass holding female until I remove her from tank. Therefore as soon as I see a holding female being antagonized I put her in a separate tank.

The ratio of 1m:7f is not only to minimize aggression amongst Auratus, but will also allow females time to add weight back on after breeding... spread the love around so to speak!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My non holding female is wedged in the return tube hanging on for life she has no chance of even looking at the holding female with that male being so aggressive. Btw how long before i will see fry and what are the chances of fry surviving in the community ?

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
28 days and zero. I would isolate the female who is not holding before she is killed or gets ill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have another tank, I would take the holding female out and strip her after 15 days. Then feed her 3x a day for 3-5 days. After that point, I would re-introduce her to community tank.

This will take stress off both holding and non-holding females.

Fry will not survive in community tank, and either holding or non-holding female or both will succumb to aggression/harassment by male.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I think as long as you have only 2 female auratus you should remove them or the male.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts