Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this what i believe to be aulonocara rubescens at my lfs (they were kind enough to special order him in for me) :)

Is this really a rubenscen? He seems to have way more blue than i have seen in pictures and my younger juvenile male doesnt look like he would even be anywhere near this blue when he gets older!

If i am way off subject and this is what they all look like just say so! This is my first time keeping them!
(feel free to also say he is some beautiful show quality male) hahahahaha :lol:

Red head but blue tinted body....

:fish: thanks!

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
there is actually no such thing as a pure exact "aulonocara rubescens", it is a man bred fish and the fish they sell may vary quite a lot.

that said, your fish is rather odd looking... at least from those photos.

Compare to these fish. Of course they color up from being drab juveniles, and have somewhat of an orange shoulder, but should have orange throughout the body and back fins.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1311

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know there are many versions of "rubenscens but I figured everyone would know what I was referring to.

He does have the orange shoulder but looks very different from the fish in the profile section....that is why I am questioning what he is.
Again maybe he is just a colorful one but i'm not quite sure since this is the first I have kept them.
His body is just that wonderful shade of blue and has a very bright line on his top fin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm looking on google at some pictures could he possibly be Aulonocara Hansbaenschi?
Maybe other younger juveniles just need to color up or maybe not??

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the first fish in question was a Jacobfreibergi hybrid. Would have been my first guess.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here's some I took today you can see the colour differance, just after a few months.

Mine are aulonocara rubescens...... :thumb: :fish:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He looks like Tusker's male except darker.
I have a younger juvenile male that looks exactly like that so that was why I was wondering.

My thoughts are that he is just a tad dark and my young male will start to look the same (hes a little younger looking than Tusker's) or stay lighter.

I agree with Fogelhund, he isn't a Eureka.

If it helps at all when I bought them from the lfs on his list they were labeled as "Red Peacocks".

He is also the dominate male of the tank but doesn't seem to mind the juvenile male at all.

Very nice looking fish Tusker! :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts