Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

my Ruby Red Peacocks seem to be very quiet and shy, they don't eat when i feed them they wait ubtil i go then eat.
I saw the male eat and then spit the food out.

I have 1 Male and 2 females in a 110 litre tank, is there any thing i can do ?

length 122 cm
width 30 cm
hieght 36 cm

110 litre tank

I have a rena filstar xp3

TETRA TETRATEC APS300 AQUARIUM AIR PUMP 300lph 120-300L

And a Rena 200W Smart Heater / Heaterstat Unbreakable

Just the three Ruby Red Peacocks, the male now seems to be colouring up, just had them for 4 days.

I am feeding them Hikari, cichlid Gold Mini pellet.

G

·
sounds like bloat... did you starve them for 2 days when you first got them and leave the lights off for a full day? i would probly treat with clout if they arent eating or if you see them spitting food instead of eating it... i learned the hard way that thats the best way to do things when first getting new fish...

·
Registered
25 Posts
It also depends on water parameters.

I had a peacock that would not eat and spit food, but did not have bloat. I accidently crashed the beneficial bacteria in the filter by doing aggressive water changes thinking that it was bloat (counter productive).

Once i moved him back to my main tank with cycled water, he was fine and ate within a day.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Wait...you said you just received them, correct?
I would give them at least a week before jumping to conclusions. IMO, you never want to medicate unless necessary, and with new fish, it can add even more stress. -In your last picture, his feces do not look white; especially when judging the coloration against the rocks.

I've dealt with numerous peacocks/haps and some were picky eaters, especially if they just arrived in a new tank.

-What type of diet where they on, prior to you getting them?
-Did you quarantine them before placing them in your larger tank?
-What are the tankmates?

·
Registered
162 Posts
DanniGirl said:
Wait...you said you just received them, correct?
I would give them at least a week before jumping to conclusions. IMO, you never want to medicate unless necessary, and with new fish, it can add even more stress. -In your last picture, his feces do not look white; especially when judging the coloration against the rocks.

-What type of diet where they on, prior to you getting them?
-Did you quarantine them before placing them in your larger tank?
-What are the tankmates?
+1
You stated that you have only had them for 4 days so it is very likely that they are just still getting comfortable with their new environment. I've had new fish that were good from day one and others that took over a week to start to really settle in. Also as DanniGirl mentioned they may not be comfortable with a possible change in diet yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are on there own in the tank, they seem to be fine doing all the things a rubin red should.

i.e (looking for food in the substrate), i seen them eat the cichlid Gold Mini pellet and spit it out, then when it hits the bottom eat agian and spit, they do this until its all gone ?

They seem happy in the tank ?

the tank measurements are odd, but my tank is long,

thanks for all the reply's

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Tusker said:
i.e (looking for food in the substrate), i seen them eat the cichlid Gold Mini pellet and spit it out, then when it hits the bottom eat agian and spit, they do this until its all gone ?
If they are still settling in, it's normal. You also had another post asking why they were hiding, etc ... right after you introduced the group and that's because they're still getting used to their surroundings and as DJRansome stated,
DJRansome said:
Not enough fish in the tank
See how they are doing in two weeks. Also in a 55G, you probably want at least 4 females for the male and if you stick with 1m:4f of these then you probably want to add one or two other species. Malawi feel safer with lots of other fish around.
For-instance, notice your male. In your first posting, his coloration is mediocre at best for a juvie. But if you compare it the the pictures you posted yesterday, he's coloring up. That's a sign he's finally becoming comfortable in his new environment. As Azcichlidfreak mentioned, it can take some time so be patient.

As I mentioned before, the food spitting is normal if they're still adjusting. However, if it concerns you, contact the breeder and find out what kind of diet they were on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys you were right....... they are eating fine, I fed them just a while ago and they went mad for it.

Thanks for all the replys :thumb: =D>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts