Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for tank mates?

It is a 29G tank with quite a bit of rock work and hiding places.

I currently have 3 juvenile rubescens (unknown sex) and 2 Labidochromis Caeruleus. The Labs are much smaller than them.
There is also a small bristle nose pleco.
I am hoping to go to my LFS and order 3 more rubescens from the breeder.

I was thinking maybe a clown loach or something of that matter for clean up and maybe a bosemani rainbow or two?.
The tank is in my room to help me sleep and brighten up the place so im trying to not get too crazy with it :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Stick to what you've got, and start saving for a four foot long tank soon. A 29 gallon just won't work out when your fish are all six inches long. Don't add anything more for now.

Clown loaches want to be in schools, and grow large. Not the best choice.
Labs, like all Mbunas from Malawi, don't really do well in pairs. The smaller one gets beaten up. Harems, of one male to at least three (if it's a non-agressive species like the yellow labs), sometimes even at least seven females is what they need to thrive.

I'm a bit paranoid after all the feeding fish hotdog and so on stories on the forum, so if I'm asking stupid questions, just say so.
Is your tank cycled?
Do you know your water parameters?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the reply.

I do realize now that the clown loaches will not work for multiple reasons.
Would a Synodontis catfish work? If so which one?

I do have a 75G tank that will be set up in the future. This tank should hopefully work for now.

I will get another lab.

I would be paranoid to if I heard that someone is feeding fish hotdogs! :roll:
The tank is cycled.
Bubble wand is in so very oxygenated
It is at a stable 78 degrees
8.2 Ph
Nitrates are a little high but not much. Anything to help this go down to normal?
Thanks for the stocking thread :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
If you are going to add fish, I'd set up the 75G now. If you are going to keep just the 3 labs/3 rubescens and they are 1-2 inches you should be good for a couple months. The BN will do your clean-up for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright im still getting stuff together for the 75G but that should be ok for the time being, considering they're still small.
Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also will the Labs cross with the rubescens? The last thing I want is OB hybrids.....

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Unlikely unless you have the wrong ratios. If they are tiny (under 1.5") and you will set them up on the 75G with plenty of females for each in the next month or so, then you should be safe. Although I've had yellow labs hold at 1.5".

·
Registered
554 Posts
to get your nitrates down, do a water change. That's the only way :thumb:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright good I just want to be sure!
Yes i will do that! thanks! :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts