Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting some of these fish,anyone ever had them? and Would they be worth getting? Some say they are drab in color,and hard to color up? Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've kept A. Maylandis and they are awesome peacocks in my opinion. They are very peaceful and yes they are worth getting.

As for as color, if you feed them correctly and do not place them in a stressful environment they'll have a magificent golden-orange blaze.

F-1

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Great looking fish, but as the previous poster states, they aren't a very aggressive species. If they are at all bullied (easy to have happen), they won't look like much.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
A male may not color up much around other males or more aggressive fish, so it seems like it can be hard to find tankmates that will allow the Maylandi male to show nice color.

You could have a species tank. It is probably one of the few species in which you could keep in a smaller tank fine.

·
Registered
495 Posts
depending on the line even a fully colored male is still brown barred on its sides.. some lines get a nice blue hue to the body but some i seen have no color to the body..

·
Registered
495 Posts
stangr6 said:
i have a 5" in a all male hap/peacock and he holds his own and is fully colored up i will try to get a pic
what is the color on the side of his body? i wanted to try this peacock but all i could find were lines that seemed to have no color in the body! Nice blaze, but i have other fish with blazes..even lrg males in species tanks where brown barred.

·
Registered
495 Posts
stangr6 said:
i have a 5" in a all male hap/peacock and he holds his own and is fully colored up i will try to get a pic
what is the color on the side of his body? i wanted to try this peacock but all i could find were lines that seemed to have no color in the body! Nice blaze, but i have other fish with blazes..even lrg males in species tanks were brown barred.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I originally was going to get some Buccochromis Notonaetia but changed my mind do to size,I heard the Maylandi were black faced with yellow blaze and a little blue?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I ended up getting an otopharynx lithobates instead of the A. maylandi. I wasn't particular, I just wanted the yellow blaze. The lithobates is fantastic. Still coloring up, but he looks like he's going to be fantastic! Not aggressive, but not a wimp either . . .

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a o. lithobates(Z-Rock) in my tank also,I have 5 of them,still young.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a group of them. I have 3 males full blaze of glory (the one is incredible) and another 2 males (9 total fish, 5M 4F) that are not well colored.

I keep them in a 125 with:

12 Stigmatochromis pholidophorus
10 Cyrtocara moorii
10 Protomelas steveni
5 Copadichromis trewavasae

And the sides are a rich dark blue striped coloration, even on the sub dominant fish.

All fish are adults. In my opinion, a must keep peacock if you keep them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts