Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw these at the nice petstore we have here. i haven't been able to find much on this supposed location but they have the nice yellow blaze like the maylandi profile on this site, but the body as a more blue purple shine on them. they look really nice, are these just a rarer species or is my leg being pulled?

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
They are the same. Were all the fish at the store colored up with a blaze? Then they have been artifically hormoned :(

·
Registered
796 Posts
There the same just difftent varent there just showing up in the mix again the fish Shipping Company A-Pet Got a hold of them and there showing up all over here they also don't get a yellow blaze its a orage color with a deep deep purple body. im thinking about getting some wild caught ones for myself. i haven't heard much about them.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no they had decent size to them noki and only about 3 were really coloring up and i could tell ablut 5 others that were males and the other 15 or so look mostly female. i'll have to ask them if they are wild or not cuz i know they breed their own stock sometimes and sell F1's, i've also seen nice groups of wild tropheus go through and the such so i'm thinkin i should be good. but i could only find one pic on the internet of these so i gotta ask

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they wanted 15.99 for the males and 12.99 for the females or something like that, they had both sexes priced

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they wanted 15.99 for the males and 12.99 for the females or something like that, they had both sexes priced. these fish were all 2-3.5".

·
Registered
796 Posts
This is what you were looking at Nyassae apache peacock
there farm raised from A-pet thats what were getting em at wild caught is about 30 for males and 15 for females

·
Registered
796 Posts
those ones more then likely are not hormoned there not a hybred fish or line breed there just a diffrent varent you can get WC ones you have to order them straight from a breeder. Don't ask at the store cause he will more than likely play you for stupid.
How i can tell if i get Wc when they say there Wc is they are affraid to eat infront of you for a long time. Same with any Wc fish the only exception i have seen is with angles.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well they seemed to know when they were getting fed cuz i put my hand at the top of the tank and they all zoomed for the top like i had food, get a better look at them doing that too.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I have never heard nor seen that location. A glance at Ad Koning's books would probably help out with distribution of this species.

·
Registered
796 Posts
There just sulferhead peacocks but there from a diffrent part of the lake. i dunno all the exacts on it but there almost a black purple with a orange crest going from dorsal to head

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I would be sceptical of these fish. (I always am of anything anyway).

If they are new, and from a different part of the lake that has never been discovered, or notated by Ad Konings, you would think they would come with a label.

How many males are coloured up in these tanks?

Anybody have a picture?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
only one male is close to fully colored and 2 others i would say are halfway and maybe 2 that are starting to, then its a hoard of females, and they have less blaze on their heads.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Aulonocara apache maylandi it is just a sulfer face peacock, from a diffrent part of the lake that people are not use to seeing there use to seeing the lighter colored body these one have a dark purple to them. not hybred nothing crossed.

G

·
Apache shouldn't be a location at all in Africa...it's the name of United States Aboriginal Tribes... (id est, it's a native american word)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse here but like *** said in every post is just a sulfer face peacock there the same thing they just come from a diffrent point in the lake like every other fish that has the same scientific name and everything just diffrent color type just like them for example Aulonocara maylandi (maylandi) does not have a Crest like Aulonocara maylandi, then you have Aulonocara stuartgranti, and Aulonocara jacobfreibergi.

Now for why they are being called apache it is how the crest is on there face like how the native american tribe before they would go into battle.

There is a little snafu in your post to your calling a native american tribe aboriginal when aboriginal tribes are originally from australia so i think the word you were looking for is native american.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts