Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just was wondering if any one else noticed how often these are confused.Is the main difference between them the placement of there eyes? I just noticed a lot of pictures of these two fish seem to be the same with the exception of the eye placement. Even on this sites profiles there appears to be Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" pics in the section for
Aulonocara baenschi im confused can some one more experienced explain the difference between the two please?

I just want to buy Aulonocara baenschi and make sure I don't accidentally get hybrids.

Thank you.

Corey.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
One of the major differences is that maleri is bred for the oranges that you see in the red peacock varieties. Typically speaking, most maleris have some form of orange in their coloring whereas the baenschis do not. Most baenschis have a more yellowish/white coloration in the body; the yellow barring is more prominent against their lighter coloring. The curve of the baenschi head is slightly different as well. Typically, a baenschi will have more of a blunt curve, juxtaposed to a maleri which will have more of a tapered look.

However, as with any similar species, you cannot rely on things such as curvature of the head and eye placement.

If you are worried about hybrids, I would order from a reputable breeder so take a look in the reviews section: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/retailer_index.php
If you're still unsure, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with some excellent breeders.
:thumb:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts