Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted this guy from an aquarium with two fully colored up males. He looked a little ragged at the time but is holding his own in my aquarium with 7 other males.

There aren't many pictures of sunshine peacocks as dark as him, so I was wondering if he could be something else, or was just dominated into color submission.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Color depends on pecking order but he seems oddly without any blue. He could color up more.

Unfortunately it is hard to know if these are pure since there are multiple "yellow" Aulonocara such as the Maleri Island "Yellow Regal", the Chidunga Rocks which is the original "Sunshine" because they are more orange, and the "New Yellow Regal" /"Benga" which is the endangered A. baenschi... these fish are commonly crossed in mass market fish. I wouldn't claim he was a pure fish, see if he colors up more.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noki said:
Color depends on pecking order but he seems oddly without any blue. He could color up more.

Unfortunately it is hard to know if these are pure since there are multiple "yellow" Aulonocara such as the Maleri Island "Yellow Regal", the Chidunga Rocks which is the original "Sunshine" because they are more orange, and the "New Yellow Regal" /"Benga" which is the endangered A. baenschi... these fish are commonly crossed in mass market fish. I wouldn't claim he was a pure fish, see if he colors up more.
Agreed.

He's kind of an oddball regardless of species. It's no big deal, he just looks nothing like his tankmates, who were very yellow and blue and of the same genealogy. I've been jokingly calling him the ugly duckling. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts