Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth making one to feed my Malawis ? Is there any benefits to this type of feeding ? Or is conventional feeding just as good?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Interesting idea, I never heard of this before but it makes sense. Might be something I would try someday when I am bored for something to do and see how it works out.

What kind of food would you put in there?

Here is a link for the others who dont know what it is and want to check it out like I did.

http://www.mypalhs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120320

·
Registered
38 Posts
yeah, sounds like an interesting idea.

trying to think of what kinda food would be good for it.
might be a good way for feeding certain veggies like lettuce or thin strips of cucumber and zucchini..

·
Registered
947 Posts
Here is an easy way to do it.

Buy a bunch of similar sized pieces of slate. Put them in a seperate, heavily lighted aquarium full of used aquarium water (removed from your display tank during water changes). When the algael growth is heavy, put the rocks in your display tank, to be grazed on. Just keep rotating the rocks in and out.

You can keep other fish in the "garden" tank, as long as there aren't any algael eating fish. I used to keep large predators in the tank, and also would use the predator to eat excess/unwanted fry.

I'm probably not describing the process well, but it's easy to do, and the mbuna to appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
How would you get the micro-crustaceans and other fauna in there?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From my understanding and reading, it seems like the net is there to hold down the food and make the fish kinda work for thier food.
...About the "garden tank"...do Af. Cichlids really like algae that much? and wont that dirty up the display tank too much? I am kinda new at this so excuse my ignorance!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Africans do like algae, but they won't keep your tank clean. Sounds like the garden tank is supposed to be messy and the show tank would just have a nice green rock added on occasion and removed when the algae was gone.

·
Registered
947 Posts
DJRansome is right. The "garden" tank is messy, the display tank is clean.

As long as you choose the garden tank's fish carefully, they won't prey on any invertebrates. There will be some, though not the exact species that come from Lake Malawi. I'm not sure how they get in there, but they do seem to.

When I did it, I used the garden tank as a "utility" tank...the fish were large predatory species that disposed of unwanted fry. The algae rocks were just a side benefit. Keep in mind that at the time, I had 19 other fish tanks...about 10 of those contained actively breeding cichlids. The local fish stores would only take a limited amount of fry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts