Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place. I didn't see a "right" place to put his one.

I will be attending the GCCA Cichlid Classic and auction on Sunday 5/22.

I intend to bring a mix of mbuna (yellow labs, yellow tail acei, and maingano). I know to double bag, but this is my first time as a seller and want to get it right and not put a buyer in a bad situation due to my inexperience. I'd love to hear any tips people have.

·
Registered
705 Posts
lots of air. freshly dechlorinated water would be prefered. (due to the long trip and moving around) tape up the corners of the bags so that fish wont get stuck in them. properly insulate whatever canister you plan to use. try to limit the amount of shaking and moving in general, post bagging. try to isolate smaller numbers or even 1 fish per bag depending on A. size of the bags and B. size of the fish. also if you can pump pure oxygen versus regularly pumped air that will help. hope it all works out feel free to reply if this is too confusing.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Don't feed your fish for several days before the auction. Their systems will get cleaned out and there will be less pollution in the bags.

Bag buddies are nice...just a little extra oxygen and a calming agent to avoid stress.

Bag aggressive fish and/or males separately.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Keep them coming.

Hadn't thought of taping the corners, but i t makes good sense. Same with not feeding for a few days.

I figured to bag the male mainganos separately, but was thinking of bagging say 5 labs together as they are 2" juvies. If I have 6 I'll split into 2 bags of 3 (same with acei).

If I can find some bag buddies I'll grab some. Not sure if they are available around here, but I'll ask the LFS.

I'll probably pick up a styrofoam cooler to minimize temp loss and shaking. Last auction that seemed to be the transport method of choice.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Put as little water in the bag as possible, just enough so the fish can sit comfortably under water. The more air in the bag the better. It will increase the oxygen exchange that is possible over the longer period of time. Very little air = very little oxygen. Also, at a minimum, use an air pump to fill the bag instead of using air from your lungs, the oxygen content will be depleted from your lungs.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Double bag by inverting the first bag into the second and it'll take care of the corners.

After you see 200 people pick up and rolll the bag of fish around to check them out you'll stop worry about jostling them beforehand. :)

Put a printed label on each bag that includes a picture of the adult species. Also include any info that might be helpful to the buyer like size, termperament, water parameters, etc. Even though common, not everyone there will know all species. It will make your bags stand out and possibly sell better. If your auction is like ours, there'll be 20-30 bags of yellow labs. :) At some auctions, for $1 you can 'fast lane' a bag right to the front of the line. Mostly used by buyers, but can be a good startegy for sellers too.

If you can't find bag buddies, Jungle makes another product called 'ship right'. That's what I use. You can find it online. Don't know how helpful it is, but it'll make you look like you know what you're doing.

Lastly, don't bag up and sell anything you wouldn't be pleased to buy yourself. Build your reputation for selling quality fish.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure wish I could edit the title to spell "auction" correctly :(

Thanks for all the tips guys. I want to make sure I get it right.

Last GCCA auction I went to there were plenty of bags of yellow labs, but they all sold and went for a fair amount. I'll take what I can get get, there coming out my ears! :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
For fish around 2", use half a bag buddy (none for fish smaller than that). I generally fill 1/3 water, 2/3 air. Never blow into the bag. Either use a pump to pump in air or do the quick grab technique.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The other alternative if you can get them is Kordon Breather bags. With those, you fill the bag completely with water, and the fish can survive for many days. As well, handling the bags has less effect on the fish. As mentioned above, the quick grab will give you a bag with lots of air, and double bagging negates the need to tape the corners, as the first bag goes into the second bag upside down.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I contacted Jungle Labs to get some info on 'Bag Buddies' and their other product 'Ship Right'. Not much of a response, and less than professional, but here it is. Interesting to note that Bag Buddies have been discontinued. Anyone relying on them can still find them on Amazon.com. Jungle still list these products on their site, so who knows if this info is even accurate.

Both these products are discontinued. Bag buddies were for short-term use of about a day.
We had a product for fish transport called Hypno which contains a mild sedative and was designed for 1-3 days of transport. The was only sold in gallon size. Both products had calming agents in them.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the help. The auction went well as both a buyer and a seller. I didn't make a ton of money, but that wasn't the point. I was able to rehome some fish that I know longer had room for and got my feet wet bagging and selling fish.

On the buying end I picked up:

Sulphur head Hap (mislabeled as mloto, but it's all good)
Deepwater Hap ($1 bid!)
Aulonocara Koningsi (hard to find in our area :))
Taiwan Reef
Several other bags of fry and juveniles

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Glad to hear all went well!

Also sounds like you got some good fish to fill that freshly made room right back up. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.