Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals, I live here in the Midwest where THR is quite spendy...I just found out that my aunt and uncle in-law will be visiting here in the spring.

They live in McKinny, TX(which seems to be about ~35 miles north of Dallas) and will be driving an RV here.

I would love nothing more than to get around 200 lbs of THR delivered here for a good price...

I don't want them to have to go too terribly far out of there way to get it for me, but is there anywhere in that area that THR can be had for a reasonable price?

I know there is a thread in this sub-forum from a member that found some for 15 cents a pound and I really don't expect to get it that cheap, but any insight on where it can be found would be greatly appreciated. They aren't aquarists, so I really doubt they'd know where to find it for the best price.

Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your best bet is to do a search in the area were your family is at for a landscaping business if there in Texas they should be able to find a place especially around Dallas area I'm sure you can find one. Here in san Antonio there's about 3 places I know of one has it for .15 another for .25. Try doing that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
baz11 said:
Your best bet is to do a search in the area were your family is at for a landscaping business if there in Texas they should be able to find a place especially around Dallas area I'm sure you can find one. Here in san Antonio there's about 3 places I know of one has it for .15 another for .25. Try doing that.
Thanks baz...So THR is sold at most landscaping supply stores? I've never seen THR used in a man-made landscape, otherwise I would have done this to begin with.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yea neither did I but I was not ablout to pay 4 bucks a lbs for rock so I got on good old Internet and searched and called every landscape busdiness in my are until I found a place. Also in Dallas I know there is Texasholeyrock.com they are based in Dallas so if all else fails they can always go and pick it up from there you choose on the Internet give them a call pay for it and they canpick it up for you. I think there it's like $1lb which is still cheaper than what's In area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Also when u call and they tell you they don't have any ask were u can find some people in Texas are usually real helpful thats how I found it down here.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Not in landscaping stores around here in NJ, but I'm sure in Texas since it is closer to the source. And maybe even the entire west half of the US. I heard that too when first starting out and looked around at local landscape suppliers a little.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Keller Materials in San Antonio, that's where I get mine. You gotta clean it yourself, but well worth the money saved. I'd bet my bottom dollar pretty much all landscaping yards carry it, around here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yup it is but if u can sneak a few off the pallets in front that's were they have real good pieces at real good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts