Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an all male hap/peacock tank and have wanted a male of one of these for a while. I have never seen a mature male but picked up a smaller juvenile from RCA a few weeks back. They had some larger 6+ inch ones there but they looked really ragged and so I did not chance it and bought one of the smaller ~3.5-4" examples from another tank. The fish I have is about 4" and I chose (though a lot of it was guessing) what I hope to be a male. The fish I have does have egg spots on the anal fin. Do females of this species frequently have the spots as well? I do not remember the others having the spots as noticeable if at all in the tank I picked from, which is kind of why I went with this fish. There is blue on the lips and a faint blue hue to the sides but I do not think it is more than what a female might be capable of. The black horizontal bar is still present down the side but is kind of blurry and not really dark. At about what size would a male start to become somewhat obvious? I was thinking about 6-7" and have searched the net but have not found much info.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
4-5" males can show bluish green shine and lose the stripe. Sounds like you made the best guess from a juvenile group. In any juvenile group of the same species, one or two males will rise to the top. More color in the anal fin, a shine to the face or dorsal are early signs of masculinity.

In a group with other males, it's hard to predict when a male will color up much. Depends on the tank size, other fish, size of other fish...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
One of our females has egg spots on her anal fin. The male grows larger faster so if you have a few it is easier to pick them out.

The blue sheen on the face is a dead give away. The dorsal on the male is pointier, longer and more swept.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.