Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone keeping Astraloheros sp. "Red Ceibal"? I was planning to order some juvis and was wondering about setup and breeding.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I do not keep them, but in nature they live amongst rocks and where there are few plants. They breed in caves, usually they dig out beneath a rock to make a ledge in the shallows. So a sand substrate and numerous rocks would be ideal. I would just make some piles and stacks, and let them dig the caves themselves.

Here is a short video of a pair of Australoheros facetus with fry in the wild to give you an idea of their natural habitat.
http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z3/edburress/Uruguay Nov 2010/?action=view&current=PB260124.mp4

Ed

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ed! You affirmed what I was thinking in terms of set-up. I wasn't aware that they dug out caves. I guess I'll need to stack rocks in a way that they can not be undermined.

Any one know what water parameters are ideal for spawning? Do they require cooler temps to spawn? Are they a social cichlid or better kept in pairs? What would be the minimum breeding tank size? There isn't a whole lot of info out there on these guys.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
They are easy to breed. They can be pretty aggressive, especially when spawning.

I would say similar to convicts. A 36"+ tank would be best. They dont like their own kind at all.

A similar Australoheros Oblongum (fish in my Avatar) stays a little smaller and is less aggressive. Prettier too IMHO.

...Bill

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I special ordered six "red ceibal" the other day. They all look great! I've never seen a fish so bold and personable. The second I introduced them, they were at the glass greating me and eating seconds later. They acted as if being in a platic bag all day was no big deal. I hope to get 1 or 2 pair out of the group or if I get lucky, 3. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Very cool. Good luck with them and keep us posted.

...Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.