Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I would very very much love to get hold of a colony of Astatotilapia Flaviijosephi.

I fully acknowledge my sin in classification here - I know this fish is not generally African. I just thought I'd try here because nobody appears to have done anything in the board including Asia in months... I beg the pardon of any here who may care.

I've done what research and looking I'm able to these days, and most stuff points back to Greg Steeves, but he and I are not super close in that we've never met and he's never heard of me... So... Any help?

-Strum

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
I would put something in the Trading Post just to cover all the bases. C.A.R.E.S fish are usually handled through participating clubs, I have never had much luck contacting C. A. R. E. S.

He is on Facebook under Greg Steeves.

He is also a member of the A. C. A. (American Cichlid Association) and you might have luck with someone helping you reach him by posting on their Facebook page.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
From Dave Schumacher (Daves Rare Fish) to Donna Ransome on Facebook
Greg Steeves had a group about 10 years ago, and distributed quite a few fry. They came out very male heavy though. His group grew old and stopped breeding, and no one else had any luck with them. Those and the desfontainii suffered the same fate in the hobby. I dont think either are in Europe either.

Also Greg Steeves has given up fish for birdwatching (!!) and Dave got a lot of Greg's breeders so Dave is a good source for Victorians...just not that species.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
SUPER RARE MUCH?!!!
Uhhh.... I dunno. Maybe someone just needs to truck it on down to Syria I guess, and net out a few WC babies for us, yo'!
Oh.... right.
-
Sorry El Hefe'. I guess sometimes it's good to want, y'know? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gives me a goal... My new good friend, Mr. Steeves did return my email, and echos the sentiments you do. He's not aware of anyone keeping this fish anymore.
I have a number of contacts along the banks of the Jordan. Perhaps I could convince them to do some angling on my behalf? I doubt they'd be any more successful than the English friends I've tasked with finding me unobtainable pipe tobaccos... Perhaps the strength of my network is actually all in my head :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Hmmmm.....
I doubt they'd be any more successful than the English friends I've tasked with finding me unobtainable pipe tobaccos...
Yes, El' Hefe that IS quite the problem. Maybe this interesting chap could help in your quest?
Temple Gesture Beard Facial hair Worried

While contemplating the inestimable charms of Astatotilapia Flaviijosephi, our intrepid Cichlid Keeper savored the pungent delights of a particularly fine batch of Long-Bottom Leaf pipe weed, exported from the Shire!

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuzi

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indeed, my Friend! It seems my tastes have turned towards "Unobtanium" these days. I'm currently working on a match recipe for the now-defunct Tewksbury's "Hobbits Weed," a delightful cherry-ish aromatic... La Srta. Strum and I have some mellowing now in the garage to be sampled around Christmas time :)

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
OMG you have been to Clark's Trading Post in NH?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never have been there. I had to give it the ol' Google, in fact. Looks super fun, but I'm missing the connection...

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
Only other place I ever heard the word unobtainium. It is part of their spiel during the steam locomotive ride.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Unobtanium was also used in Avatar

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, that's interesting.
The first place I heard the term came out of Skunk-Works developing the SR-71 blackbird. So much of the design of that aircraft required so much titanium, and titanium was SO hard to get hold of in those quantities (at the time) that the engineers began referring to it as unobtainium. I've since started using it as as stand in for thing that are just super hard to get hold of. I was in no way involved with the development of the SR-71, just saying....

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Oh my goodness... Time to git yer nerd on, ya'll!
  • Avatar: The metallic element, Unobtanium
  • Skunkworks: Exotica unobtanium Alloy (Now also used to describe various - $$$ - metals, used in World Superbike factory motorcycle builds)
-
:ROFLMAO: Whew.... :ROFLMAO:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts