Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding an Astatotilapia calliptera (Eastern Happy) to my all male 72g tank, but there's very little information on this hap. From what I can tell it's more of a rock dwelling Malawi hap. Has anyone had any experience with this fish? Colors are beautiful and offers a lake Victorian style.

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
I had an Astatotilapia in my all male tank but it was latifasciata. He was just a LITTLE too rambunctious for my other timids haps to color with him in my tank...I removed him. I do have a group in my mixed gender hap peacock tank, but the borleyi stand up to the latifasciata better.

72G bowfront is a difficult tank for all male.

IDK if calliptera have different behavior, FWIW.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. From the limited info out there and some videos, the calliptera seems rambunctious as well. May pass on this dude.

I thought the 72g would be decent for all male. I'm considering the 5' long 125 in a year or so, which will give the current fish some time to grow a bit. Wish my office had the space for 72" long, but 60" is about the max. Not many options out there in the 5' width, which is pretty unfortunate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts