Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked one of these up today as my dealer advised it perfect for my set up. Im concerned about how the current inhabitants are accepting him though. The goby is spathodus erythrodon.

Tank mates are one pair of brevis sunspot and two caudopunctatus....

Will he settle in? The tank is 76l long well established with an external canister filter, plenty of rockwork and sandy substrate... the male brevis has given him the hardest time. At the moment the goby is hiding in a nook within the rock. Im struggling to find much information about this species on the internet... the dealer has recommended spirulina food and high veggie diet. He did advise not to keep anymore because they will fight. Im confused because this fish was housed with brevis in the store... could it be that my female has spawned in her shell? The cauds dont seem to bothered - just curious

:( Please dont mob me.....

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Any fish that wanders over to a shell inhabited with a breeding pair of brevis will be attacked by the male. The goby will learn to stay out of there. Now if the brevis is going out of his way to hunt down the goby, that'd be real unusual. I've had many pair and none have ever been inclined to do anything but defend a small area around their shell. As long as you're not seeing that, it'll be fine. If you are seeing that, you've got an unusually psychotic brevis.

Mine like to sit in clefts between rocks also. That's just where they seem comfortable. He should do fine. A single goby can mix into a lot of different setups.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thank you so much Prov thats a relief. Its so tough to find information about them. The brevis has a few times hunted him out but this may be curiosity - the Brevis attacked the poor thing as soon as i let him out the bag and this was no where near the shell - this is why i wondered if spawning had occured because the female is especially shell bound lately....

Ill keep an eye on things - he is beautiful and the dealer is a good one so im sure he would have given me the advice he thought correct - Thanks for replying so quickly x

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Brevis can be nasty, but I think what you saw was just because he was a newcomer. As long as he has rocks to hide in and stay out of the way, things will settle IME.

Brevis is the one fish I fear. Mine are nasty to me when I try to clean their tank. I have a friend whose male drew blood. It was actually a male from a pair that I had sold him and it came after me one time. That's the first time I saw what they can be like. Now I've also had them with many other fish that they pay no attention to unless they come by their shell. But, put my hand in the tank and it's 'game on'!

I agree you should be looking for fry soon. Funny thing is once the fry are free swimming they don't protect them at all. They seem to just protect the shell. You'll need to watch for them and siphon them out if you want to raise any.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*** been watching them and the Brevis is patrolling a lot more than usual, he is still seeking the goby out but then *** just seen him turfing a caud out of his area... im thinking its a parent thing

His behaviour has certainly changed - he keeps checking that the female is inside the shell and last night he slept in the shell with her which i havent seen him do before

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
last night he slept in the shell with her which i havent seen him do before
They've definitely paired up then. Just a short matter of time before you see fry. Have fun with them, I love brevis.

·
Registered
929 Posts
kiaratrak said:
The brevis has a few times hunted him out but this may be curiosity
I think this is the case. When I recently added a female Calvus to a tank with some Brevis in it, they followed her around like she was an alien that had just landed from another planet. Now that the novelty has worn off, they only pay attention to her if she pokes her head in the wrong shell.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im glad you say this because the Brevis is still giving the poor thing ****. At some points though the Brevis has just sat next to it as if sizing him up. It appears however that the goby is very skittish and unsettled - he goes absolutely mental whenever the brevis gets near - this isn't helping because then they all freak out and chase him - lets hope it does settle :(

·
Registered
929 Posts
If it doesn’t settle down in a few days or if the Gobie seems injured, I’d rethink the situation. But, some turmoil is normal when adding a new fish to a Tang setup. By the third day, my Calvus settled in and the paparazzi had moved on to harassing each other. But, this was a 48â€Â

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah all the present occupants were added at the same time so i guess this is my first experience of adding a fish to an established tang set up. If it doesn't settle down ill be taking the goby back to the dealer - im sure they will understand. I dont want to see him or her harrassed to death.... I feel a bit disheartened but we will see....

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You can temporarily add more rocks to create a sight break or just to change things up. But, what you're seeing is very normal though with many fish. Hard to watch, but give it time to work out and could be very rewarding. But, only you can tell when it's gone too far.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I know you may not be set up for this, but something else that can be done that can work is to temporarily remove the pair of brevis to another tank. Let that go for a week or so, just long enough for the goby to settle and the brevis to lose the feeling of territoriality that they currently have. Then add the brevis pair back.

Or, if possible, and now that they're sharing a shell, move the brevis pair to another part of the tank and move rocks around. Gives all the feeling of being new together. It can confuse all of them long enough to give the goby a chance to settle in. Just some things that can be tried.

I once introduced some juli's to my l. similis tank and they did not like it. They're a shell dweller and had their shell bed, but would still go out of their way to venture into the rocks to harass the intruders. I just made sure I had plenty of rocks and hiding places and in a short time they totally lost interest in the juli's and each settled into their territories just fine. It just takes some patience and experience to learn when to give something more time or pull the plug on it because it's just not going to work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Prov - i had only rearranged the tank a few days ago and pretty much doubled the rock content. *** checked on things this morning and they were all asleep in their own places - *** just got back home and nothing has kicked off to my knowledge yet but ill be looking more closely later when the lights come on and its feeding time.

Im also finding that the food im putting in is often getting stuck in nooks and crevices - whats the easiest way of getting the left overs out without putting my hands in - my Brevis bites too! lol Also any recommendations for home prepared veggies for the Goby?

Thank you folks x

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You can use a turkey baster. Or, Ill put a cleaning tool down by the shell so he goes after that while I do what I need to in the tank.

Can't help on the veggie food. I feed mine a good quality pellet and they do fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts