Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have my 125 mixed tank now setup with the everything that I want in place, at least for now.

Wondering if anyone has used any type of dye to assess water flow into filters and evaluate for any dead/slow zones? The idea of adding any type of dye scares the crud out of me; but, I honestly cannot think of any other way to evaluate flow.

Am running with 1 Penguin 350B on center and 2 Rena XP3's with intake/outputs crossed with spray bars. As well, am running a JBJ Submarine 13 watt UV sterilizer. Have considered adding a water fan to increase movement.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could you add some methylene blue? it's a commonly used in aquarium for treatments.

Might work :-?

I'm experimenting with my fishless tank at the moment and can't get rid of the two deadspots I have, one under a wooden arch and the other is right below the outlet. Might deicde to add a small powerhead behind the wood, aimed at the inlet corner. Don't know yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I read somewhere that "flake" food, if dispersed across the surface, would be a way to view water movement. You didn't indicate if you have any inhabitants in the tank.. I suspect if you are doing this prior to adding your fish, the flake would be a non-chemical, non intrusive way of checking....
just my 2 cents . . .

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've wrestled with circulation over the years and found a dead spot or two beneficial. My main DT has better than 10 x's turnover and I still have a spot where the aragonite is messy the morning after. It makes it easier on the filter socks for me to collect this and spend a minute with the fish during the week.

You can locate dead spots easily by finding where detritus collects. Then adjust your returns to move that to a more convenient, out of sight, location for spot cleaning with a gravel vac.

·
Registered
912 Posts
My suggestion would be to not obsess over it.

I would say with that much water movement from three filters, it's slightly paranoid to worry about a few cubic inches that might not be getting constant flow through them. It's not like a fish is going to swim too close to a dead zone and immediately go belly up. :roll:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Add some duck weed to your tank. See where it goes and stays. Just make sure you get it all out.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Not to mention I would think the fish would enjoy a dead zone to rest ... especially if keeping fish that are native to low flow areas.

·
Registered
196 Posts
M&S said:
I'm experimenting with my fishless tank at the moment and can't get rid of the two deadspots I have, one under a wooden arch and the other is right below the outlet. Might deicde to add a small powerhead behind the wood, aimed at the inlet corner. Don't know yet.
The easiest way to get rid of dead spots I have found is air. You don't have to fill the tank with air stones, but placing just one where the dead spot is located does the trick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts