Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding a few assasin snails to my planted 58 gallon to control Malaysian trumphet snails.

A few questions:

Do they eat MTS?
Do they eat other things i.e. fry?
Do they reproduce in the tank?
Any downsides to adding them?
How many for a 58 gallon?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You could also try clown loaches. I added two to my mbuna tank. The mbuna leave them alone and I see the loaches chewing on snails all day long. This tank never had an outbreak, but had a decent number of MTS. Their numbers seem to be reducing as time goes on.

I thought I heard the assasins will eat them, but not really control the population.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
i have 4 in a 150 gal.

I see them eating a MTS every day or so. Its not like they are burning through them though. I would guess they are eating about 1 per day. If you are doing it for fun, go for it. If you want to get rid of the MTS, just feed VERY lightly for a few weeks and the MTS numbers will go way down.

·
Registered
803 Posts
They will eat them, but very slowly. Like rizzo said, cut way back on your feeding and the numbers should drop pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks. I can pull more by hand out per day than that!

Light feeding not really an option. I've got two breeding pairs of rainbow cichlids and need to keep them healthy. but I've upped my substrate vac'ing (as much as possible with all the fry and wrigglers) and that should help. thanks all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts