Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for advice, new setup for Severums.

If you've read my introduction (Here we go again, and It's all about the Severums) then you know why I'm starting this thread, My wife Marilyn and I have never had large cichlids or a large tank before, we will be purchasing a 150 gallon tank and the severums will be the center of attention. I will be posting my ideas on this thread as we go but will also be looking for advice or better ideas, and if the members here have any thoughts or concerns I hope they will post them, I want to avoid making any wrong or unnecessary purchases and do this the right the first time.

So lets start at the beginning these are the tank dimensions 72 x 18 x 29 I was thinking 150 pounds of medium course gravel,

The question is would 150 pounds be enough and what would be better gravel or sand, course or fine.

Filtration: Using my 90 gal as an example, I,m running 2 Fluval 405 canisters with no carbon and a Aqueon 55 cartridge filter with bags of carbon only.

My question here is would 2 405's be enough or should I upgrade to the FX5's.

Any thoughts, concerns or better ideas, please post, Thanks in advance Dave.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 405's would probably be enough but if you can get a 150 reef ready and use a sump. Sumps work better on a large tank.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Substrate depends entirely on what other fish you may want to add to the tank. I'd probably go with a fine river gravel or a white sand (pool filter sand is commonly used and is cheap). For the aquascape, looking for interesting pieces of root wood, branches and driftwood. Severums are vegetarian, so not many plants last long in the tank.

As for filtration. Ideally sumps are the way to go, or two quality canister filters (depends entirely on budget). Personally, a large Eheim canister filter is better than an FX5.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I disagree about the Eheim being better than the FX5. I have five Eheims and one FX5 and I much prefer the FX5. You can't really go wrong with either, although I would put my money on the Eheim outlasting the FX5. Just my two cents.

I have a group of 8 H. Atabapo and I keep mine over pool filter sand. I think they appreciate the sand bottom, mine seem to sift through the sand when they are picking pellets off of the tank floor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Progress, this weekend I am reinforcing the floor, adding 5 support poles in the basement, this job should be complete today, if every thing go's well I may consider upgrading to a 210 gallon.

Every one agrees sand not gravel. I will go with sand.

Filtration. I think the LFS had a good idea, have the tank predrilled only, two spots 4 holes total, then use the FX5 with t's making it 2 ins and 2 outs.

Any concerns or comments on this idea, please post them. thanks in advance. Dave

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Make sure you get Pool filter sand. Great stuff. Is clean and course enough that is wont cloud the water and wont clog filters. The Sevs love to sift the sand.

I would get an FX5 (no tank drilling) and use a 405 if needed to polish the warer.

....Bill

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MonteSS said:
Make sure you get Pool filter sand. Great stuff. Is clean and course enough that is wont cloud the water and wont clog filters. The Sevs love to sift the sand.

I would get an FX5 (no tank drilling) and use a 405 if needed to polish the warer.

....Bill
I like this idea I think this is the way I'll go.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our new 150 gallon tank arrived Wednesday :dancing: it's been full of water since Thursday but I will be draining it tomorrow to re level, and then do the final setup, I will be using bio from the other three tanks for the cycling. and hope to add fish Monday or Tuesday. My question here is does anyone think it would hurt to put a pair of Yellow Labs in with the Severums, I have a pair in my hospital tank because they wouldn't leave the cory cats alone in the 90 gallon tank. :fish:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
African rift lake cichlids typically need diferent water than SA cichlids to thrive. Personally I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally the 150 is up and running. To start we used 200 pounds of pool filter sand white in color, two FX5 fluval canisters hooked in series, the first canister is filled with Eheim mechanical medium and is then fed into the second canister for polishing , we also have a Aqueon 75 used as a carbon bank. for cycling purposes I pulled one tray from each Fluval 405 on other tanks 3 total that filled the top tray of the first FX5, I also pulled one used cartridge from the 45 and the 90 gallon tanks for use in the Aqueon 75, I also added 20 gallons of water from the other tanks, I think the tank should be fully cycled for the number of fish in it, we have 4 small severums 2 small firemouths 2 large angels and a feather fin. we are thinking of adding a pair of silver dollars today . does anyone think adding two more fish would be a problem ???????????????

·
Registered
86 Posts
djm761 said:
Finally the 150 is up and running. To start we used 200 pounds of pool filter sand white in color, two FX5 fluval canisters hooked in series, the first canister is filled with Eheim mechanical medium and is then fed into the second canister for polishing , we also have a Aqueon 75 used as a carbon bank. for cycling purposes I pulled one tray from each Fluval 405 on other tanks 3 total that filled the top tray of the first FX5, I also pulled one used cartridge from the 45 and the 90 gallon tanks for use in the Aqueon 75, I also added 20 gallons of water from the other tanks, I think the tank should be fully cycled for the number of fish in it, we have 4 small severums 2 small firemouths 2 large angels and a feather fin. we are thinking of adding a pair of silver dollars today . does anyone think adding two more fish would be a problem ???????????????
Silver Dollars like to swim in schools. I don't think you should add only two of them. I would recommend a school of Buenos Aires Tetras insted. You could probably get 8-10 of them in your tank or maybe more. I have a school of them in my tank with Severum and Blue Acara. They make a great dither fish and add excellent movement to the tank. The Silver Dollars grow very large so a school of 6-8 of them would take up a lot of space.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dougrhon said:
Silver Dollars like to swim in schools. I don't think you should add only two of them. I would recommend a school of Buenos Aires Tetras insted. You could probably get 8-10 of them in your tank or maybe more. I have a school of them in my tank with Severum and Blue Acara. They make a great dither fish and add excellent movement to the tank. The Silver Dollars grow very large so a school of 6-8 of them would take up a lot of space.
thanks for the tipI'm going to take a look at those fish

1 - 13 of 13 Posts