Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[in my DIY thread that a few read and only 1 guy replied :( ]
I bought the 100 gallon fish tank i found on craigslist for 50 bucks :O i know, I did't do much
heckling either...
and here it is 100 gal tank for 50 bucks (25'' tall, 15'' wide, 63'' long :) )

it has the divider so finding lids wont be too hard.

the only down side to the hole tank (i was filling it up for a leak test)

filled her to the top, waited 1 hour.. no leaks :)

and the guy said he had oscars in it, and he siliconed this corner because it leaked but he did a good fix :)

I have one question i have 22 fish now, in total spread out in 2 different tanks.
my question is can i put them all in this 1 tank with 4 frontosas and 4 jack dempsy?

also, can i take the water from my already established 55 and 40 gal tank and all the filters and substrate and put them in this 100 gal tank and be set to go?

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's what I've done and my fishes are fine.

My Jaguar wasn't eating in the over crowded 55 gallon for a week and when I combined all my fishes from both of my 55 gallon tanks into the 135 gallon tank, the jaguar is now eating more than any of the other fishes.

Here's what I did.

I took 50% of the water from my tank A and put it into the 135 gallon tank. Took 50% of the water from tank B and put it into my 135 gallon tank. Moved filters from both tanks to the 135 gallon tank and added a little more water to full tank.

Don't forget to move the heaters and plug them both in so that the water could heat up to the desired temp at same time. I think I must of cycled the 135 gallon tank within 2 hours.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sounds fine and dandy, awesome deal by the way.

However 4 Jacks and 4 Fronts are not going to work, you will have to choose 1 group out of them. I would personally keep the fronts. Even than a 5 foot tank will be tight eventually but you have lots of time before that comes to be. Also Jacks are more aggressive and may not even tolerate each other in a group of 4.

As for moving them over, i would just take the cleaner tank water from each tank approx 50% of each tank, then fill it up with fresh water. I wouldnt put both heaters in as you may risk over heating them, i would stick with one thats appropriately sized.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wouldnt mix the jacks and fronts, but as far as setting it up you can put the filter substrate and equipment. Put all fresh water in the tank and your ready to go. that is assuming the water are at the same temp and ph reading.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
both of my tanks have a ph of 8.0 and a temp of 78... why can't i dump the tanks water into the 100 gallon? would it ruin or mess up the bio chemistry?

but would it be over stocked with 22 mbuna and 5 fronts?
thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
623 Posts
How big are your fronts? I'm imagining they're rather small still and for the time being it won't be overstocked, but as they grow it will be. Yes you can just dump in all the water reason I said take half from both is simply it saves you a water change, you don't want all the excess waste really. Plus it will create a balance and easier transition for both tanks of fish. Take as much established water as you can without getting all the gunk at the bottom.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ohhhhhh ok your saving me a water change, so its like a fresh setup? jesus christ your a genius.
I don't have any fronts but that is my favorite cichlid and I would love to at least have 3 or 4.

Also due to the fact my 55 only has 8 fish and thats the biggest tank I have ever dealt with, I am still debating on how I am going to work the whole cleaning aspect out. I will be making an UGJ system along with my three 50 AC. Will that be enough filtration?

Another question, where would I be able to find lids for this tank?

·
Registered
173 Posts
killakam,
the reason I said fresh water and not using any in the tank as there is no benefit other then the water being what they are used to. But if your tap water is the same as what is in your other tanks think as if they are getting a 100% water change. Other wise you are putting nitrate filled water in the new tank. When I set up a new tank and I am using an old filter I simply just get the new tank in location get it set up as much as you can with the new equipment like heaters and lights. then start putting fresh water. Now if your using the substrate from an existing tank you might only want to put half to 1/4 of the tank with water till you get the sand or gravel that you are using in your other tank.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As Valous stated there isn't any reason to use any of the existing water if your are transfer the filters and substrate since this is where the vast majority of your beneficial bacteria is.
As far as the fish go I wouldn't keep the Fronts with the Mbuna at all. They will constantly be stressed due to the aggression and activity level of your Mbuna.

·
Registered
623 Posts
AZcichlidfreak said:
As Valous stated there isn't any reason to use any of the existing water if your are transfer the filters and substrate since this is where the vast majority of your beneficial bacteria is.
As far as the fish go I wouldn't keep the Fronts with the Mbuna at all. They will constantly be stressed due to the aggression and activity level of your Mbuna.
reason I said use some old tank water is your temperature is right and won't be such a shock and risk losing fish. I would fill 50 percent of new tank with tank water than the rest with as near matched temp fresh water. Shock is the biggest killer, I personally wouldn't risk it since he has to drain the other tanks anyway. All new fresh water can work it's just more risky.

·
Registered
173 Posts
it is but, is he using the same heaters from the other tank? as long as the water is close in temp and ph you wont have a problem transferring fish. I find as long as you are with in 2 degrees you should be fine. Just my experience and practice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I second or third that you should use 100% new water. It is not the water housing the bio filter, but the substrate, decorations and the filter media. No need to carry over existing nitrates. Start fresh and you will be much happier.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will do guys, I will keep this thread updated with the progress i make on the tank, shouldn't be too long till i have it up and running.

thanks for the info guys
stay posted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.