Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male arroyo yerbalito gymnogeophagus and want to breed him by purchasing some fish from Jeff Rapps. Jeff says he has males and females and can sex them, so my question is, do I buy two females to set up a harem with my existing male, or do I buy three fishâ€â€

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Personally, if Rapps will sell females only, I would buy three females, and go with a quartet. I not a big fan of trios. The more females the better, as it allows male aggression to spread out further, and some times in a trio a subdominant female can be severly harrassed by the male and dominant female.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Also, make sure that you are getting matched fish, both G. Gymnogenys and G. Labiatus from Arroyo Yerbalito have been available.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great feedback, especially the reminder on matched fish--I was worried about that, given all of the name confusion on these fish I've been reading about. Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, one follow-up: If I decide to provide the cool-down period these fish need, I may need to move them into a separate tank, where I have a chocolate cichlid, two plecos and some cory cats, along with some dither fish (mostly platys).

Will the cichlid tolerate the cooler temps? I think the corys will, and I don't much care about the platys, not sure about the plecos (who I do care about!).

Thanks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's best to keep fish that appreciate the cool down together all the time, rather than moving fish from tank to tank. I know that that chocolate won't appreciate the cooler temps and depending on what plecos you have, there really could be a problem there as well.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
you can call Ken Davis.
we brought some plecos, cories and tetras back from uruguay (in addition to cichlids), though you may have a hard time making an exact location biotype, you can certainly get plenty of fish used to those conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts