Cichlid Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy, all! My name is not Alowishus, and I'm a fairly new cichlid keeper. I got started in the hobby in September and have become completely hooked, of course. I've started this thread hoping to illuminate and explore a certain fascinating but unfortunate phenomenon I've noticed in the fishkeeping world. I find that it's somewhat difficult to articulate precisely the behaviors and mentality to which I am referring, but I expect most here will nonetheless know exactly what I mean: There seems to be an inclination here and there toward arrogance and egoism, a sort of angry, jealous defensiveness over techniques, habits, opinions, and philosophies.

I'm interested in hearing from seasoned hobbyists, serious breeders, newbies even greener than myself, and everybody in between. Please, share your thoughts, theories, experiences, etc. I'd like for this to be very frank and open, but everyone must play nice - this isn't the place for grudges held, accusations, judgments, or even subtle antagonism. There's only one rule in this locker room - ELE!

Thanks!

·
Banned
406 Posts
Never noticed that....

All the people *** meet (owners / customers) at LFS etc. throughout the years have always been nice. Guess I havent been around the block enough. :lol:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've definitely experienced what you are referring to, and typically, once I sense an attitude like that they lose credibility to me anyway. This hobby is very fluid, and it's hard to imagine two hobbyists ever experiencing the same exact circumstances or situations. With that in mind, I think we all need to remain as open minded as possible. Just because it worked for you, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for someone else.

CF is probably the best resource I have come across for fish keeping advice, however I do think that the impersonal nature of an internet forum leads people to internet bullying more than they would be a bully in real life. It's a common experience I've had in forums for different industries as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I certainly agree that the quasi-anonymity of the intraweebs emboldens people, but it seems to me that would only make them more likely to express any.. let's say, negativity that they might otherwise conceal. But where does it come from?

The intuitive answer is an insecurity in their own positions. I have noticed that many offenders are, however, long-time fishkeepers. Surely most of them would be conviced (for their own part, at least) of the efficacy of their methods and comfortable with those convictions.

I've had another idea, though it is admittedly less developed. Fishkeeping is generally (historically?) a rather introverted hobby in that it is undertaken by oneself, alone. Of course, communications and information technology have relatively recently created well-networked communities, but the fact remains that each of us makes our own decisions about what to do with our tanks and those decisions by-and-large affect no one and nothing but our own tanks. I wonder if this, combined with the fact there are still many mysteries and unknowns about these fish, leads enthusiasts to think of fishkeeping as their own personal and private domain and to view any 'dissent' as an infringement on that domain, illusory though it is.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Apologies in advance but only fishkeeping topics are permitted on our forum here on C-F.
All other topics will be locked and/or removed regardless of merit.

Thanks for your support of the site!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.