Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this argentea for a few months now and had a few quesitons about it. First off any idea on sex? Also, how many tankmates would you go with in a 125 gallon tank? I had a few other cichlids in this tank when I got this fish last summer but I had filtration issues and am working on rebuilding this tanks stock now. Right now this argentea is in with a pair of cutteri (that I am willing to move out as right now they are divided because the argentea just decided the other day to start beating on them). I am wanting to go with Vieja like synspila, hartwegi and othersfor tankmates.
Here are the pics:

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/cage62 ... 8.jpg.html

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/cage62 ... sort=3&o=2

Sorry, I was going to embed these photos but photobucket is being weird. I hope the links above work for you guys. Thanks and any help with sex and stocking for this tank would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The links will not work. Photobucket has discontinued 3rd party hosting unless you pay extra. Some folks have moved to imgur. However, it is also possible now to upload directly to the forum, which I would highly recommend.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess it did work! Great! So...any thoughts on sex? And tankmates? Thanks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
You'll have to vent it to sex it accurately, or at least post a close up photo of the vent.

Honestly, there's a good chance you won't be able to keep tank mates with it. These are very aggressive fish...even at only 4-5" in size, I had to split my two juveniles with a divider in a 180gal tank a few months ago to keep the dominant from killing off the other. You can try, just be ready to remove tank mates at a moment's notice that don't work out. I'd try other CAs that can hold their own...you mentioned the other "Vieja" species, certainly can give them a go, but keep a close eye on them. And make sure to add multiple at the same time, not just one fish, to help spread out aggression.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Sinister-Kisses, nice to see an old mate still around and holding it down. Synspilums would likely work but at some point nothing maybe be added because that Argentea will likely to have claimed the tank and may not be willing to grow with anything else, unless it is something that it realizes it can not physically overpower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.