Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhh, the dreaded "Mixed African Cichlid" tank from the LFS....... :roll: :fish:

Exhibit 1:
Just bought this guy. 2 inches long, very active

Exhibit 2:
Just bought this guy. 1 inch long, shy, hides

Exhibit 3:
5 or maybe 6 inches long. Had this guy for probably 4 years now. Very peaceful. I have two of these and have never figured out what they are.

Exhibit 4:
At least 6" long. Had this guy about 4 years. Fairly peaceful and calm/slow. He's a dull greyish blue with yellow fins.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Exhibit 3 looks like an albino red zebra.. metriaclima cellanos.

·
Registered
742 Posts
1: Dimidiochromis compressiceps

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
cantrell00 said:
Exhibit 3 looks like an albino red zebra.. metriaclima cellanos.
that scientific name makes no sense but #3 is an Albino Red Top Zebra. Could be Metriaclima greshakei but the actual species is hard to tell.

#4 is an Acei

#2 is an unknown Aulonocara "Peacock"... without color you can never guess which, but probably could be yellowish.

#3 is a mystery. A D. compressiceps hybrid could be possible. The barring is not normal for a Compressiceps. Or something you would not normally find in a random tank?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh geeze. I looked up info on the Malawi Eye Biter. This doesn't sound good at all :-( 9-12 inches?? Aggressive predator that preys on other cichlids. Ugh.

All my other Cichlids are in the 5-6" range. Do you think they would be safe as this guy matures or am I better off to bid him farewell?

I only have a 55 gallon and was looking to upgrade anyway, so would he be ok with a large tank and lots of artificial food and swimming room?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Sorry... Didn't realize the spelling had to be perfect... Metriaclima callainos

Right?

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Well...correct spelling of a species DOES help the OP if they then try to research the fish you're saying they have...anyway...it's not a callainos. As noki said, albino red top zebra which is quite probably a greshakei...they're pretty common.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SinisterKisses said:
Well...correct spelling of a species DOES help the OP if they then try to research the fish you're saying they have...anyway...it's not a callainos. As noki said, albino red top zebra which is quite probably a greshakei...they're pretty common.
I've looked up both names given for this fish and I agree that he definitely looks much more like the Albino Red Top than the callainos. Even the facial expression doesn't seem to match the callainos.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
10-4

I was thinking red top zebra but gave the species of a red top cobalt while mis spelling it.

All good..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts