Are you more likely to get a hybrid fish by:

1. (1) female X and several male Ys?

or

2. (1) female Y and several male Xs

or

3. (1) male Y and several female Xs

or

4. (1)male X and several female Y's

I'm not doing this nor am I going to attempt to do, but I was at one of the local LFS (petland) here and they had a bunch of firemouths, salvinis and cons in the same tank and started wondering if these guys would ever produce hybrids and what senarios would produce them. I just used cons and salvinis in the example cause I have seen these hybrids on google. Anyone seen a con/firemouth or a salvini/ firemouth?

I also would want to know how different the fry would look from a female x / male y and a
female y / male x

Anyone understand what im asking? Its kinda confusing....

google or youtube "Tiglon" and "liger" and you will see what im talking about

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'd be more inclined to think that 1 male X and several female Y's or vice versa would be the most likely scenario in producing any hybrids. Of course, having convicts in that equation makes it more likey to occur.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the 1 con male with the other types of females or 1 con female with other types of males have a better chance?

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Doesn't make a difference with the initial cross - but takes way too long to try and explain. Do a search for Heterozygous and look into how designer strains of Leopard Gecko's are made to get a better idea of hybridization.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I'm more likely to avoid hybridization...

·
Registered
799 Posts
stuckinthemiddle said:
Would the 1 con male with the other types of females or 1 con female with other types of males have a better chance?
Not sure what you're asking here.

IMO 1 male and 3 females will most likely end up in a pair no matter the species.

Are you trying to cross these fish? What is your goal here?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts