Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

i found a brand new Aqualight retrofit kit, 48", at 50% off (120$ instead of 240$) with bulbs included. total 260 W, 2x65 WATT 10,000K + 2x65 WATT TRUE ACTINIC 03

i hope the link works, im not familiar with this forum

so my question is, would these light fit my tank? i have a planted 55gallon tank, 48 x 13 x24. thinking of upgrading to a 48x24x24. plants are anubias, java x3 , vallisneria spiralis x2 and 1 that i dont know the name and that shouldnt be there anyway. also got some floating plants that look like what frogs sit on in ponds.

Would the lights be appropriate? Too strong? Is the price fair?
thx!

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
the anubias, java, and val, that is more light than they need, and the blue actinic doesn't help plants, I think you'd just end up with a lot of algea in the tank

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i do it myself, building a canopy and everything, what light bulbs would you recommend?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The price is fair, but you are going to spend a good amount on bulbs. You might check catalina aquarium lights out. You can choose the bulbs you want at just a little more than that set up.

I have been playing with 2 75's that have all of the plants you have plus some. I run T5HO lighting. My tanks are in the living room so having lights on a lot is almost necessary. I started with 4 bulb T5HO fixtures. 1 10k, 1 actinic, 2 plant grow bulbs in each fixture. After a bunch of messing around, I have come up with this.....

I run just the actinic from 7am - 12pm. ONE 6500K plant grow from 12pm-8pm. The back to the actinic until 10. 10pm moonlights come on. It's a little unconventional, and I really like Africans with 10K and actinic, but the 10K bulbs just bring the algae. The actinic alone makes the tank a medium blue color. The fish stay active and its better than no lights on. If I run 2 plant grow bulbs it increases the algae also.... I discovered what lighting works on my tank kind of by accident. I went traveling and a 10K bulb stopped working on one tank. When I got home, the burned bulb tank was nice and clean. The other tank that had the 10k working was an algae farm.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts