1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bedrock Road surface Asphalt Tar Artifact

Grey Road surface Beige Wood Rectangle

Hi All,

I am in the beginning stages of setting up a mbuna tank. Currently scrubbing and cleaning some rocks i got from a local landscaping place for free but these rocks seem to be leaking dirt or some other substance no matter how much i keep scrubbing. I tried pouring some vinegar on them and they dont bubble but I am not sure if they are safe nor do i know what type of rock it is. Do these seem safe to you guys? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
41,831 Posts
I can't make the picture larger, but if the rocks are leaking dust I would not use them. You don't want debris in your tank.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks like limestone to me, just looks dirty. You sure they didn’t bubble with white vinegar? How much have you scrubbed?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi!!😃😃😃 nice to meet you!😃
Howz your "rock" situation?
Yes! As long as you "clean" them really well, you can use them! I've got loads of cement looking rocks and use them continually all the time when I feel like it!😃 also branches, logs, anything from nature as long as it's in good shape and cleaned!😃

·
Registered
609 Posts
Tough to find rocks here in SW FL. Driftwood abounds. My go to for rocks is Lowes Large Mexican Beach Rocks (Smooth & Black my balzanii love them for breeding sites) and my local rock & gravel landscape supplier. We lack glacial erratics down here so rock sourcing in the "wild" is sparse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts