Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought them as "Assorted Cichlids" I am obviously just an amateur but I am fairly certain these are frontosas. They recently mated and I have a bunch of them now. I really didn't expect this. I will post pictures ASAP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hope everyone can access these.

I will post on a different site later today just to be sure everyone can see them.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
And breeding well by the look of em. :thumb: Boy do I wish folk breeing these Mbuna would not waiste our time posting very nice picks of fish any gumby knows are TB Metriaclima lombardoi AKA Kenyi.
You can see they are TB because they have more bars than WC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The description for M. lombardoi is that they are EXTREMELY aggressive and that they do not recognize their owners. This is simply not the case here. I have a few other fish and they live together just fine. When I approach the tank they swim toward me. There are a few other discrepancies that I came across. This is exactly why I was having a problem positively identifying these fish.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Witalis007 said:
The description for M. lombardoi is that they are EXTREMELY aggressive and that they do not recognize their owners. This is simply not the case here. I have a few other fish and they live together just fine. When I approach the tank they swim toward me. There are a few other discrepancies that I came across. This is exactly why I was having a problem positively identifying these fish.
The aggressive is typically true. There are exceptions, but few and far between. Most often the worst of the aggression is reserved for their own species. If yours aren't consider yourself lucky.

I'm not sure where you've read they don't recognize their owners. They aren't social like some of the larger Central American cichlids can be, but pretty much all cichlids recognize the person that brings food.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Maybe size is the solution to this dilemma. Kenyi (5'', can breed at 2'') will breed at a much smaller size than frontosa (who grow to be 12'' big in the male's case). What size are your fish?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts