Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i order all my fish and wait for them to pair out, will they be obvious pairs? How long does it usually take for them to find pairs?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
What sort of fish are you ordering? You may get different answers depending on which fish you're planning.

-Rick (the armchair aquarist)

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Right. First they grow to sexual maturity, and then they pair up. One mod said they are not a "pair" until they have produced fry.

For example, I bought six juvenile calvus and was told it would be about a year before they pair up and I have to remove some. Calvus are very slow growers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I am going to try and pair up julies and gobies.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So do I just wait untill two breed and then get rid of the rest?

·
Registered
97 Posts
both julies and gobies pair up fairly easily.. it's very easy to notice pairs once they do pair up because they will guarding a desired area and will be chasing away all other fish but themselves.. this is when you can seperate them and they are likely to start breeding.. i just got 3 pairs out of my lamprologus ornatipinnis which was only a group of 6.. first noticed a pair, removed the pair, noticed a second pair, removed the second pair, then the 3rd pair formed as well :p.. had a pair of breeding julies as well, pairing is very easy to notice.. good luck

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So do you wait for a pair then remove all others other than the pair?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts