Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
olliesshop said:
I just thought you might want to know that the advice given has resulted in my Nitrates dropping from about 40ppm to about 7.5pmm. I've been doing 50% water changes twice a week for a few weeks now and it's making all the difference in the world.

Thanks and all the best to everyone !!!
Don't like my nitrates to get over 20ppm - usually try to keep mine around 10ppm.

20% wc twice per week should be plenty to keep nitrates down. If not, you need to find out why and correct that problem. 50% is too much at one time! And twice per week at 50% is way too much. That should not be necessary to keep your nitrates lower. Do you vac weekly? Do you have waste hidden under large rocks? How often do you clean out your filter?

A consisent pH of 8.2 would be wonderful for your Tangs.

I have found API test kits to be excellent provide they have not exceeded their shelf life.

Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
triscuit said:
...So, sure- 20ppm is a reasonable goal, but 10 is better. :thumb:
I agree, 10ppm is better. Mine are usually 10ppm or a little less after my water changes.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
DJRansome said:
10ppm is good, but if you have a planted tank you don't want to go lower.
I haven't done plants yet. I should try. I want to add some to my kilesa tanks.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
olliesshop said:
I just remembered, I forgot to mention I sold my two 8" long Plecos about 3 weeks ago, which where creating, obviously, a ton of waste. I'm wondering if part of my Nitrate reduction might be due to their lack of waste creation? Since in reality, I also have so many rocks covering the bottom it's almost impossible to vacuum anyways.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, in advance, for any additional insights ... :)
Plecos do create a lot of waste - getting rid of them may have helped.

Waste will find places to accumulate and under rocks is a typical. You may want to plan to move rocks and vacuum if you just can't get a handle on the nitrates. I realize opinions on the quantity of water change differ. All I can say is that my nitrates stay low with a 25 to 35% weekly water change and I don't think I under feed.

Hope that helps.

Russ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.