Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this week that some fish were swimming sideways against rocks, not all the time but occasionally, not all the fish are doing it either, I don't see most of them doing it now, except for my Venustus, which I also noticed today that he is "resting" on the internal overflow intake, right on the plastic bars where the water goes into the overflow, it seems like he likes the waterflow or something. I also noticed that he wants to be alone by himself, more than usual, and I don't know if it's me (because my light is broken) or if it really happened: I think his body is a little bit more pale than a few days ago, but no white spots or other signs of ICH that I know of, I don't have experience with Ich, so I'm not an expert at diagnosing it. He is about 4" - 5" and not fully colored, yet.

Also, another of my fish, did the same "swimming sideways" thing and I see that he has 5 or six single grains of sand spread on each side of him, it looks like sand, but if it was sand it should come off by swimming, but it's not a big white spot like each. It's like when you put salt on your french fries, several grains but separated from each other.

Is this normal?
Do you think something is wrong?

Water:
Temperature: 80 F
Ammonia: 0 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: Under 10 PPM

Please help! Thanks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
That is called flashing and can be a sign of aggression, a sign something is off with your water params, a sign of illness, a sign of them just having an itch that needs scratching.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the white "grains" that I see on one of my fish? He looks as salted French fries. I was looking at some pics of fish with ICK and he is not as bad but what I'm seeing is quite similar.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Usually the pics you see online when you google seem to be the worse cases. I have heard to try shining a flashlight on them. It is suppose to make it easier to see.

Kinda sounds like the beginning of Ich to me though hopefully someone more experienced with it will chime in and help. Also if you can get a pic that can show these grains would really help, but I know it can be hard to get it to show up on on a photo.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try to get a picture, not sure if it's going to work... but let's try it!

dotbomb, I just finished reading the article, thanks. I have "Sea Salt" in my home, the ones we use for regular human food, and I also have API freshwater aquarium salt, which one is best? Should I go the heat + salt way? My temp. is 81 now and I will try to raise it to 83 by tomorrow, and then to 86 by friday. I'm going away on the weekend and will be back Sunday night. I will probably tell my dad how to start the treatment or something. Should I begin adding salt now or after the temperature raises? Is 86 F okay or should I go higher? When I just got them my aquarium had a temperature of 83 and they were doing fine. Thanks a lot everyone.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have never treated for ich.

I would think any non iodized salt should work though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I guess I will keep reading online and try to follow that article and see what happens. I CAN'T EVEN ENJOY A FULL WEEK OF MY AQUARIUM!!! It took me seven months to get to this point and now I probably have fish with ICK! Great.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I go with the heat+salt treatment, should I add the salt after raising my temp to 88 F or can I start dosing salt right now?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As promised, pictures showing the possible ICH:

Also, my Venustus is very calm, he just stays still next to the overflow for long period of times and kicks out other fish when they go next to him.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You're right, that's Ich. :?
You can start treating with salt immediately in conjunction with raising the temperature.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only see a few withe "grains" on that fish right now. Probably is in the phase where the parasite swims looking for hosts.

I'm leaving to Orlando Friday night and coming back Sunday night. I will leave my dad in charge of everything, he doesn't know anything about the hobby, but I will give them the right food proportions and call him to remind him and the same thing with salt.

My temp. is 83 F right now. I will try to raise it gradually to 87 by Friday afternoon, and will begin adding salt today. The salt I have is API's Freshwater Aquarium Salt.

According to the article I should not perform water changes for 10 days. My nitrates are 10 PPM right now, Should I perform a 30% water change today before starting the treatment?

How much salt should I add (120 gallons)? Should I add it all at once dissolved in a cup of aquarium water or gradually between today and tomorrow?

How often should I add?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
fddlss said:
According to the article I should not perform water changes for 10 days. My nitrates are 10 PPM right now, Should I perform a 30% water change today before starting the treatment?
It won't hurt anything and vacuum the substrate well.

fddlss said:
How much salt should I add (120 gallons)?
2 TBS for 5 gal

fddlss said:
Should I add it all at once dissolved in a cup of aquarium water or gradually between today and tomorrow?
Add over a period of 24 hours, so between now and time you leave.

fddlss said:
How often should I add?
It doesn't evaporate so there's no need to replenish it. Just add between now and the time you leave and your father shouldn't have to add salt. Make sure that the fish are getting enough oxygen into their systems though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good. This is my schedule for the treatment:

05/04/2011 Last night:

- Raised temperature from 80 F to 82.5 F

05/05/2011 Today:

- Temperature this morning was 83 F, will raise it to 85 at night so it can be 85 by tomorrow (Friday) morning.

- 40% Partial water change

- Get a bigger air stone and place it in the tank (I currently have a small air stone in the wet/dry sump, next to the submersible return pump.)

05/06/2011 Friday:

- If temperature is 85 F, will raise it to 87 at night so it can be 87 by Saturday morning.
- 8:30 AM = Add aquarium salt (18 TABLEspoons)
- 6:30 PM (before I leave) = Add aquarium salt (18 TABLEspoons)

05/06/2011 Saturday (my dad will take care of it from this point on until Sunday night, when I come back):

- Make sure temperature stays within 86-89 F
- 8:00 AM = Add aquarium salt (18 TABLEspoons)
- 8:00 PM = Add aquarium salt (18 TABLEspoons)

My aquarium is 120 gallons, so I figuered out that if I'm going to add 3 tablespoons for every 5 gallons I need 72 tablespoons of salt. My fish are African cichlids, so I think they should handle it well. However, if you think that 2 tablespoons is enough I will go for it! or maybe 2.5 tablespoons for every 5 gallons? Also, I planned on adding the salt in a 48 hour period and 12 hours after I perform the water change tonight, but if 24 hours is okay I will trust your expertise.

If everything goes well the treatment should be done by 05/16/2011, right?

What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts