Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason I ask is because I just removed the plastic lids on my tank to do some redecorating, and I closed the lid without putting the plastics back, and EVERYTHING looks so much better without that dull plastic blocking my precious light.

Would it be safe to leave them off, or are my fish at risk of jumping? I guess evaporation may be an issue too huh?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
In a tank that's not well covered, you will always have jumpers. Also, evaporation is indeed an issue - as is condensation on the lights and other electrical parts that are usually protected by the plastic covers. I would not recommend leaving the plastic off without having a very good look at your setup first and making sure that it's safe.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have lost 5-10 fish over the last couple of years from my 55 mbuna tank. I have also lost 3-4 from my 110 Peacock/Hap tank. Eventually, you will find a jumper without covers. I am working on building a catch system for my 55. On the 110, I used a long piece of egg crate, cut it to fit around all my gear and hung it vertically on some nails I put in the hood. I can post pictures later. It will act as a net if they jump out towards the back, they will hit the egg crate and fall back in. The 55 will have to use something else due to the hood design, I'm thinking something like window screen. I've also had a peacock jump out the front of my tank, so now I keep my hood down. He had to clear about 4-6" vertically to get over the light and hood, then another 6-8" to make it passed the glass. He made it. :(

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've found about 3 dead behind my tank, so yes :lol: it was my own fault for not putting on the rest of the clear plastic with my glass tops to cover the holes but i learned the hard way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a dumb question. The thought of cleaning them never even crossed my mind. lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not a dumb question at all. I love the topless look ;)

My lights are sealed but I keep tabs on them and no problems.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My first solution to the problem, an egg crate catch 'net'. When I came home from work today, the egg crate had actually fallen off of the nails I use to suspend it. I'm assuming I had a jumper today and it worked, or someone ran into it because it is submerged about 1/2". Either way, I need to build a retention system. Nothing like live market research, eh?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.