Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering if these fish are generally ones to stay hidden in the rocks most of the time or not really?

Just got a group of 5 of them the other day and so far it seems the females are always out and about in the open but the 2 males seems to kinda stay hidden within the rock piles except for when it is feeding time.

Granted they have only been in there for a day, but I am just wondering what others observed with their fish like this so I will have an idea if they arent coming out after a little while that something may be wrong or if it is common for this species. :-?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
It's just been one day, give them time.
That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if they end up being intimidated by your Demasoni. Both are blue-barred. Others have had trouble getting C. afra to color up in the same tank as Demasoni.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it has only been one day, he is already showing color on and off. Just have read that the females tend to swim mid tank in groups while the males tend to stick to thier caves. So far it is seeming to hold true but was looking for other peoples experiences on this.

Just trying to learn more about the fish I keep is all.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Kanorin said:
It's just been one day, give them time.
That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if they end up being intimidated by your Demasoni. Both are blue-barred. Others have had trouble getting C. afra to color up in the same tank as Demasoni.
I agree, it takes time for them to get comfortable. could be a little while. My Jalo male is def not shy now thats hes fully comfy... Oh, and I have them mixed with Dems and My Jalo is colored 90 percent of the time :) took a while, but, after about 3 months or so, hes come out of the shell and been pretty dominant.

Kanorin, in my other 55g, my afra nkhata bay is fully colored down and there are no other barred species in there. sucks, as I am deciding on whether to move them as he colors up maybe 10 percent fo the time

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
There you go, someone has gotten afra (jalo reef) to stay fully colored with Demasoni. In any case, it's worth a shot.

justinf67, sometimes cynotilapia have to be top dog in the tank to attain full color. I just recently put msobos in the tank with mine and I have noticed my male looking a bit less vibrant. Are your females (afras) actively breeding?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Kanorin said:
There you go, someone has gotten afra (jalo reef) to stay fully colored with Demasoni. In any case, it's worth a shot.

justinf67, sometimes cynotilapia have to be top dog in the tank to attain full color. I just recently put msobos in the tank with mine and I have noticed my male looking a bit less vibrant. Are your females (afras) actively breeding?
I actually have he same combo in there. My msobo male is boisterous, but in no way is he mean. The afra used be colored more, but the last couple months its more rare. He is def not a top dog male in the tank. I have experimented with keeping 2 melanochromis parrellus in the tank. One turned out to be male, and he's gained confidence as of late. Think im gonna pull him and give he nkhata bay a shot at coloring without him. Oh, yes, they still breed, but its not monthly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts