Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I see one at a Petsmart (3 so far) they attack the glass as I walk by. Are they just more aggressive?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Mine seem very docile and friendly. They come up the glass first when I approach but usually begging for food not attacking it by any means.

·
Registered
74 Posts
MandyBlue said:
Every time I see one at a Petsmart (3 so far) they attack the glass as I walk by. Are they just more aggressive?
Mine are the most docile mbuna in my tank - and they came from Petsmart.

·
Registered
272 Posts
MandyBlue said:
Whenever a fish does this they are just expecting food from you.. Cichlids aren't that aggresive that they attack the glass in sight of a human :) There aggresive nature is usually towards other fish and in most cases male vs male.. Fighting for territory and dominance over breeding rights..

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've never seen any of my Acei show any serious attempts at aggression towards others in my tank. I have 8, with the largest approaching 5", and they pretty much keep to themselves, almost always swimming together. I will say though that they are voracious eaters, even the fry and juvies. When the food hits the water, they literally make it boil, sticking their heads out and all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Other than my big male Acei ardently pursuing his breeding partner, they are by far the most docile mbuna in my tank!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a 6" acei itungi and hes like a big cow...only wants food so he goes crazy when its around..otherwise doesn't seem to realize how big he is so he is constantly knocking into other fish, but for an mbuna they are seriously puppy dogs compared to most

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, guess I got the wrong idea. lol. The last one we saw would follow our finger opening and closing his mouth as fast as he could. I guess the poor guy was hungry. :( My fish swim crazy to the top when they see me and want food.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
stefan88 said:
MandyBlue said:
Whenever a fish does this they are just expecting food from you.. Cichlids aren't that aggresive that they attack the glass in sight of a human :) There aggresive nature is usually towards other fish and in most cases male vs male.. Fighting for territory and dominance over breeding rights..
Spot on :thumb:

Not sure if ANY fish actually try to attack your hand thru the glass, thou I suppose cichlids might try to defend their babies but never have seen this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts