Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple of months, I have been swapping out my crushed coral substrate for aragonite sand. I prefer the look of the sand, but I have been unable to get my water clarity back to its pre-sand levels. The tank is a bit overstocked and has a lot of filtration so I was wondering if the water flow was too much for sand. At this point I am considering going back to the crushed coral. I'm hoping someone has dealt with this issue before and can guide me. Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Did you rinse it out good before adding it? I have a mixture of aragonite and pool filter sand and never had cloudiness from it but I made sure to rinse it out well. It will take some time but water changes will eventually fix it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have about 60 pounds of CaribSea aragonite special grade sand in my 75g and no clarity problem. I did rinse it well though. I also run a Maxi-jet 1200 as a polishing filter to get rid of floating debris and it does a good job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - that's encouraging. I did rinse the sand, but I suspect that my efforts in this respect were a bit lame.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Lame rinsing is always a problem. :thumb:

What is the grain size of the aragonite? A grain size of 20...like pool filter sand...is ideal to keep the sand on the bottom. I don't need any polishing filters.

Exactly how overstocked is the tank?

What is the GPH of your filters?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts