Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Aqueon 65 gallon tank from petsmart last Thursday. I filled the tank up Friday half way to check for leaks over night. Saturday no leaks tank looks good. Fill the tank up the rest of the way only to find small bubbles appearing in all four seams of my tank. I called and sent Aqueon a email on the matter and they are telling me the tank is perfectly fine and that this is very common and will have no effects on the Integrity of the tank. I have had 8 tanks over the years and I have never noticed this to be a issue with any other tank. If you let the water back out the tank looks perfect and you can not see any of the bubbles. Aqueon is telling me the water is pushing out on the glass and spreads making the bubbles Visible. I'm just not sure if this is indeed normal or something I should be concerned about. I have went to some other pet stores to look at different tanks and when I push out on the glass all of them make these bubbles appear. Looking for advice and feedback. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yes it is entirely normal.

When the tank is filled the front glass bows and pushes out. This stretches the silicone and causes the small voids in the seam. This is perfectly normal. Silicone is made to stretch and expand. The inside edge of the seam is pulling away and the outside edge is pushing in.

When you drain the tank the bubbles will go away as the pressure is released. And when you refill it, they will come back.

Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Narwhal72 said:
Yes it is entirely normal.

When the tank is filled the front glass bows and pushes out. This stretches the silicone and causes the small voids in the seam. This is perfectly normal. Silicone is made to stretch and expand. The inside edge of the seam is pulling away and the outside edge is pushing in.

When you drain the tank the bubbles will go away as the pressure is released. And when you refill it, they will come back.

Andy
So I shouldn't worry?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have an Aqueon tank (standard 75 gallon) and there isn't a single bubble like this in my seams. The seams of my tank are perfectly smooth silicon all the way around, top to bottom. Narwhal knows a lot about tank construction so I'm inclined to listen to him, but honestly that doesn't look right to me. It looks like a poor silicon job. It may not be a problem or reason to worry but it doesn't look right.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have a 210g tank that I bought brand new that has looked like that from day one. It's been running for about ten years without any issues.
I personally wouldn't be concerned. If you are, then you have to consider whether or not you want to drain it and return it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It's a very common thing to see. As the others have said no need to worry at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you guys say it's okay then I take your word for it. I posted on some other sites and most people told me to return it. I really don't want to if the tank is okay as it's almost cycled. I can deal with the bubbles in the seams as far as looks go I just don't want to come home to a tank where the seam has let loose.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You are less likely to see those bubbles in a 75 gallon or larger Aqueon tank because those size tanks use bumpers to create a larger gap between the front and side panels. Having a wider gap makes the seam milkier but provides more elasticity to the silicone to stretch without causing the voids.

If you look at the top and bottom corners of the seam (concealed mostly by the frame) you will see small circles in the seam which are the bumpers.

Smaller aquariums do not use bumpers and the gapping is all a factor of how tightly the panels were pushed together by the assembler. A tighter gap will look clearer but may produce the voids when the tank is filled. Particularly from the top down as the top edge of the glass tends to pull more than the bottom edge (because the bottom seam reinforces that side and reduces movement).

It's all due to the natural variability in hand assembly of aquariums. But in any case it's purely an aesthetic issue and doesn't affect the structural integrity of the tank.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
I agree that it is a cosmetic issue and I've seen this question asked on a few forums. I would not be uncomfortable using a tank that had this issue but if it really bothers you, return the tank and get another.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.