Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are moving into a house spring of 2022, which will finally allow me the room to upgrade my tank (currently have a 75 gallon). I want to get the largest "off the shelf" glass tank I can buy for "off the shelf" prices, and am looking between the Aqueon 210 and the Marineland 265. The 8' + custom tank with sump will come later when budget and convincing the wife allows, so this will be my holdover for the next 5-10 years.

My biggest concern is reliability. I've read more than a couple of accounts of how the larger Marineland tanks give out after a few years, but I'm not sure if this is a problem that has been fixed. I love the Aqueon 75 I have currently, but the extra foot of tank on the Marineland 265 vs the Aqueon 210 is very tempting. Will i regret getting the 6' Aqueon, or is the Marineland a safe choice now? Either tank will have an Aquadecor background and be filtered with 2-3 FX6s, keeping male peacocks and some smaller male haps.

Thank you for your input! Looking forward to those who have experienced these tanks directly.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have an aqueon 210 and when the top cross braces snapped after a few years and the front of the glass bowed out 1 1/2” they didn’t want to know. Oh well, nothing a pair of 36” bar clamps couldn’t fix.
Maybe you would get better service in the states.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like the Aqueon is the safer choice. Should be much less expensive too with the cheaper tank and one less filter I would have to run on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I DID choose the Aqueon 210 over the Marineland 265. I don’t regret the choice at all.

Also, I find the 210’s ratio of 6’ long to 30” high more
visualy appealing even though it’s a foot shorter than the 265. There’s a beauty to that tank that’s mesmerizing.

one tip that’s just my preference: Make the stand high. Water level on my tank is 6’1” off the floor. So at 6’ tall I gaze straight in. It’s amazing.
Water Fish supply Organism Pet supply Underwater

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I DID choose the Aqueon 210 over the Marineland 265. I don’t regret the choice at all.

Also, I find the 210’s ratio of 6’ long to 30” high more
visualy appealing even though it’s a foot shorter than the 265. There’s a beauty to that tank that’s mesmerizing.

one tip that’s just my preference: Make the stand high. Water level on my tank is 6’1” off the floor. So at 6’ tall I gaze straight in. It’s amazing.
View attachment 140098
I'm the same height as you, so thank you for the helpful tip! I also plan on building my own stand like I did for my 75 gallon I currently have.

Beautiful tank by the way!

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Agree with all concerning the 'correct' choice of the Aqueon aquarium over the bigger Marineland.
However....
This noticeable decline in the quality of Marineland aquariums began approximately 5 years or so ago. So therefore... IF you have the opportunity to get a so-called 'steal' of deal on a used/older Marineland aquarium - MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD - then I strongly encourage you to well, 'steal' it! (Purchase, buy, trade for, exchange etc.....).
As an example, all of my older (approximately 14 - 15 years) Marineland aquariums were a joy to own, and never caused me any problems associated with poor build or quality. But unfortunately, this thread is about new aquariums to purchase.
-
So no - I DO NOT recommend the purchase a new Marineland aquarium.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree with all concerning the 'correct' choice of the Aqueon aquarium over the bigger Marineland.
However....
This noticeable decline in the quality of Marineland aquariums began approximately 5 years or so ago. So therefore... IF you have the opportunity to get a so-called 'steal' of deal on a used/older Marineland aquarium - MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD - then I strongly encourage you to well, 'steal' it! (Purchase, buy, trade for, exchange etc.....).
As an example, all of my older (approximately 14 - 15 years) Marineland aquariums were a joy to own, and never caused me any problems associated with poor build or quality. But unfortunately, this thread is about new aquariums to purchase.
-
So no - I DO NOT recommend the purchase a new Marineland aquarium.
Right, I am looking at new tanks. Certainly good to keep in mind if i find a used one for a great deal, but the warranty and knowledge that no one else has potentially mistreated the tank is what is making me go with something new. Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts