Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating this for awhile now. I love to sleek, thin look of the Marineland Double bright LED system but am concerned it won't cover the full tank and the sides are going to be too dark.. It's the 36-48" adjustable version so it sits more in the middle of the tank, this is for a 90 gallon.

I am currently running the Aquacticlife T5 with 1 10k bulb and 1 Actinic bulb and am considering switching to the Double Bright LED system.

Does any have any first hand experience comparing these two or something similar and is the switch worth it? I know the colors are probably going to be way different (current is more blue with the actinic) and the LED system is probably going to be a bright white with a small shade of blue since the blue LEDs don't seem to be that bright.

Another reason i've considered switching is because I HATE seeing that crossmember that gets lit up by the light sitting ontop, it shadows into the tank.. I notice with the double bright system the LEDs are spaced in the center to allow for that brace and it doesn't appear to ghost it onto the water.

Looking for some opinions/comments from people who may have some experience with this..

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
If you prefer a well lit tank, you will be disappointed by the Marineland LED's.

I had two 36-48" DB on my 180. Nowhere near enough light for me.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cantrell00 said:
If you prefer a well lit tank, you will be disappointed by the Marineland LED's.

I had two 36-48" DB on my 180. Nowhere near enough light for me.
What are you using now? It sounds like what I have now is what I should keep then. It's very well lit but some areas are a bit dark and that center brace shadows in the tank..

What If i went with something like two T5 double fixture Coralife 24" the low profile ones and put one over each side to avoid light over the center brace, do you think that would work?

Here is how my tank is lit now

Here is the center brace, don't mind the water I just fed the fish so I get that haze on top.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
What are you using now? It sounds like what I have now is what I should keep then. It's very well lit but some areas are a bit dark and that center brace shadows in the tank..
Coralife 72" Aqualite Plus. I don't notice the center brace issue. The light is raised 6" above the tank surface. Running 10K + actinics.

What If i went with something like two T5 double fixture Coralife 24" the low profile ones and put one over each side to avoid light over the center brace, do you think that would work?
I think a single 48" would work...

Here is a image of mine...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks real good. I pretty much have the same light setup 10k + actinics but i don't know how you don't have that center brace issue. Even with my light raised above the tank 6" I have the same problem..

Is that light a dual or quad fixture? I'm wondering if I need to go with a quad setup to get more light with the deeper tank. This dual light fixture I used on my 55. Also, does that light have Lunar? That is one feature I am looking for.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Yes. Has Lunar.

You can see some of the light broken by the dividers but mainly ONLY when the tank is hazy from a water change, feeding, etc..

Basically 4 lighting circuits, all on separate switches & cords. Separate ballast also.

2 X 96W - 10K
2 X 96W - 50/50
2 X 96W - Actinic
4 - 1W LED

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so when you look at your lights you have 4 small lights 2 on each side with a little bit of a gap in-between in the center of the ballasts? I think that's my issue, I have 2 48" bulbs that expand across the entire length of the tank and therefore it's showing the center brace a lot more.. Think I am going to have to get a similar setup to what you have..

·
Banned
2,109 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right, that is how mine looks.. Goes across the entire tank.. In going to get the one with the 4 separate.. That will make a big difference..

Thanks for the info and help :thumb:

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
No problem. i think you will need a pair of 24" lamps. All of the 48" units I have seen, the bulb runs the entire length of the light unit.

Best of luck. Glad I could help..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Correct. This must be an older generation. Their 48" now is a 48" bulb.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
but good luck catching a holding female
I thought the same but it definitely looks awesome...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have 3 holding females right now I just let them spit in the tank and let nature take its course.. although with this setup I have a feeling some may survive :popcorn:

·
Registered
87 Posts
First off I want to say, Very nice looking tank. I just ordered black sand and a new light for my newest tank so I kinda know how you feel.
If you look at my thread T5 or LED you will see a lot of good info. After an incredible amount of research, opinions and banging my head on the wall.....I went with the 48in. Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 HO Light Fixture. Which i see is also mentioned on this thread as well. From what i can tell you are like me and use to LOTS of light So the LED fixtures are lacking unless you got a *Reef Ready* not the lesser double bright. If you went with the double bright you would need 2 fixtures. And then you still wont be able to swap out a bulb for a colormax or something that will promote more of the reds in your tank.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, I am going to sell my Aquaticlife on Craigslist and pickup a Coralife with the 4 bulb setup.. I think it will give me more light plus give me the lunar light I am looking for.. :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts