Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am getting a new 125 gallon tank and im gonna buy 2 of these 72x18 mesa rockwall backgrounds that come in pieces for the new tank and then switch the fish in my existing 125 into the new tank and then put the same background in the tank i have now... my question to you guys is 1) do i have to leave something pressing against the background while its curing? i am gonna use ge rtv 108 silicon(if i can find it)... the background is 1inch thick and the entire thing rests flat on the back of the glass... will it jus be fine with some pressure put on it by me.. im going to put some 2x2s underneath it so its not resting on the very bottom of the tank as its too short for the tank i also want the sand to be under the background and be able to put two 10inch bubble curtains against the tank glass itself and have a few inchs on the top to suction cup my filter return water outlet of my fluval 405... 2) the problem will be with the filter intake.. i ziptied a suction cup to the bottom of it to hold it against the glass... i wont be able to do this with the background there... any suggestions on how to keep it in place? also does anyone have any experience with this not jus fish company that sells them? *** called them several times and no1 has answered the phone.. thats usually not a good sign.. almost all of the backgrounds are out of stock these jus happen to be in stock.. dont wanna buy them if they arent a reputable company and they arent gonna ship them to me or whatever... im going to pay with paypal so i assume that they wont be able to jus take my money and not send me the background

·
Registered
656 Posts
If possible, I would lay the tank on it's back side to install BG, so you can put weight on it until the silicone cures. I wouldn't put any 2x2's in the tank, even if you think think they will be sealed with silicone, too much risk of problems that will require tearing the whole tank down, use pvc or black abs plastic pipe instead. I don't have any experience dealing with this company, but I've heard they sell out quick, and have also seen posts on here (recently) of people with their new BG's installed, so I'm assuming they're legit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not gonna leave the 2x2s in the tank jus placing them there for the background to sit on while it cures... but ok thanx im gonna order them right now...

·
Registered
509 Posts
You definitely need to apply pressure to the background so that it bonds with the silicone on the back. I cut 3/4" pvc to act as braces to install mine. I also used clamps near the top.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hm... just read about your plan to leave a couple of inches open at the top. I'm not sure I'd recommend that. You may find it starts to creep up since foam is really buoyant. You can create custom inlets and outlets for your 405 out of 1/2" pvc very easily.

Also if you want bubble walls you could just super glue the bubble walls to some rocks to anchor it down at the bottom of your tank. I'm probably going to do this myself soon and tie it to a timer so it runs a few hours a night to stir up the detrius behind all the rocks and caves.

edit: pm sent about source for aquaterra items in the us

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wouldnt the silicone hold it in place? as far as the boyancy goes.. how would it start to creep up? and if it were to creep up it would creep up till the bottom of the background was on the top of the water cuz it wants the whole thing to float... plus they only had the 22x18 in stock and my tank is 24 inchs high so theres gonna be space either on the top or bottom wether i like it or not...wasnt trying to wait months...theres no space behind the background like in most backgrounds taht stick out far i got the messa slim rock its only an inch thick.. so i dont think i have to worry about stuff sticking behind rocks and caves.. i completely break down all my tanks once a week and vacumd the $#&*( out of them lol why woudlnt you jus let the bubble curtains run all the time? i think im going to try and turn the one tank on its side and jus place some heavy stones i have on the background while it cures in the one tank.. but my other tank you cant even get behind or on the side of cuz theres another tank next to it.. so i guess ill have to go with the pvc or wood what are those brown waffle lookin things the pvc is against? and as far as making custom inlets... im extremely lazy and dont really enjoy making anything otherwise i woulda made my own background... wasnt interested would rather throw a nice made one on a credit card

1 - 6 of 6 Posts