Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I painted the back of my 110 gallon (72") tank black and the only decent sand I was able to find locally is a tan colour. My rocks are also very dark. I'm now considering stocking the tank with tropheus but have read that they don't tend to colour up well unless they have a lighter background and very light substrate.

Any feedback?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have kept Sp. Black "Bemba" and Brichardi "Ulwile" in a black tank with light brown PFS, The colors on them still popped when they wanted it to. I am not sure on the "Rainbow" types, I always had them on a blue background. What varient are you considering for this tank?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RayQ said:
What varient are you considering for this tank?
Thanks for your response. The only limitations on the variant I select will be what's available and what's recommended as looking best with my set up. I'm willing to consider any variant.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have Ikola and Chaitika. My rocks are kinda darker with carib sea aragonite substrate. I also use the blue/black reversable background so I didnt have to worry about scraping it off later. The Ikola against the black is really nice. I tried both with my Chaitika and didnt notice much difference in coloring. I dont like the blue at all. Looks wierd to me. Im thinking about goin to a craftstore sometime to look for something that is a light grey color and see what that looks like. Lighting is the key. Gotta get the right spectrum to make colors pop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.