Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I realize I’m asking a question that is very subjective to everyone’s unique house but I still think it’s worthy of asking. I’m going today to buy an aquarium. I have a slight worry about the weight of the filled tank, plus the rocks that will be in it. My question is this, do most of you folks do anything to reinforce your floors? The house I’m living in is older, and I’d make sure the tank is set up perpendicular to the floor joice to ensure it has the best support. It’d also be set close to a load bearing wall on the first floor (I.E. I’d do everything I can to make sure it’s the best possible location to hold the weight). I’m deciding between a 90 and 110 gallon tank, both have the same ‘footprint’ on the floor and I don’t to make a huge mess… In your opinion am I safe with the 110? I know you guys and gals are just hobbyists, and more than likely structural engineers but I ‘m just looking for what you may have had to do or consider. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just read the article, but maybe what i was looking for is "I have an X gallon tank and did/didn't add any additional support" The guy at the fish store said I should be ok, and my own logic says they really wouldn't sell tanks that require a lot of support as it wouldn't be practical to do so... I ended up going with the 90 Gallon thank, and if I get a lot of negative feedback I can always downsize and get a 75, or even 55 as it's on lay-a-way 'till the 2nd of the june.

Bottom line... if i put a 90 gallon tank in the best possible structural location should i be safe, in your opinion? [/i]

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Save your money and just get the 90g. Unless you are keeping discus then the added height in the tank isn't going to be used much. The fish will only swim up there to eat. Also the taller tank makes it a PITA to reach the bottom for maintenance.

Your fish will enjoy the 90 gallon just fine and so will your pocket book and arms. :thumb:

Your house should easily be able to support a 90 or 110 or bigger aquarium if you put it by a load bearing wall and have it running perpendicular to the joists. If you want to add extra support from the bottom for peace of mind then by all means do it.

Edit:
I was typing this as you were posting your above response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts