Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, I have my Peacocks/Haps in a 120G (4x2x2). I want to move my Mbunas to the 120 and get a larger tank for the Peacocks/Haps. I really want a 180 6x2x2 but they dont seem to show up for sale very often. I see lots of 125s for sale. Here is my question. While the 125 is 2 feet longer, it doesnt really gain me any water volume. Should I hold out for a 180 or jump on a 125 and not worry about the extra depth and height?

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
IMO the height buys you NO more fish and the depth not so much either. I prefer the 125G that is 72x18 and if that is what is available, go for it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I totally agree with DJRansome. The floor plan of 120 gallon has a diagonal of 54 inches. For the 125 gallon it is 74 inches. For the 180 it is 76 inches. You use the Pythagorean Theorem (a squared plus b squared = c squared to figure that out).

Why is that important? It tells me how far apart two different fish can set up shop on the bottom of the tank and not have to interact.

I currently have a 135 gallon (same floor plan as the 125 gallon, just a bit taller). I used to have a 180 gallon. Only a two inch difference in the diagonal. As nice as the 180 was, I am not noticing a huge difference. I'd only give the nod to the 180 if you had many fish a foot long. They would appreciate the extra turn around space.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts